Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error message while using awk Post 302411620 by sugan on Friday 9th of April 2010 03:27:30 AM
Old 04-09-2010
Error message while using awk

Hi Friends,
I am using the below code in my script:
Code:

elif [ $1 != 'Cindy' -a  `echo $Line | grep -ce 'Larry' -e 'Joe' -e 'Bryan' -e 'Lane'` -gt 0 ]
    then
      NEW_LINE=`echo $Line | awk '{sub ($4, "2010\\\/04\\\/07"); printf "# %s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}'`
      sed $n" s/.*/$NEW_LINE/" kfile > tmp
      mv tmp kfile
    fi

Around 30 lines are replaced by this code correctly. But when it replaces 5th, 6th, 7th lines, it displaces error message as shown below:
Code:
awk: 0602-521 There is a regular expression error.
\(\) or () imbalance.
The input line number is 1.
The source line number is 1.
\(\) or () imbalance.
\(\) or () imbalance.

I am not sure why I receive these messages though the functionality is achived and the lines are replaced correctly in the file.

Any ideas to avoid this message will be of great help.

Thanks,
Sugan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error message

Hi All, occasionally my server gives this error messages "NOTICE:HTFS Out of inodes on HTFS dev hd (1/42)" why ?? Alice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisev
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

I'm getting an error - symbol referencing errors. No output written to, etc Can anybody tell me why this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Rooney
2 Replies

3. Solaris

lp error message

Both of these messages are filling up the /var/adm/messages files on these two Sun boxes, goober and gomer. The print server is called gold. Jul 31 03:15:40 gold bsd-gw: request to ma28084.Solaris (unknown printer) from goober Jul 31 03:16:39 gold bsd-gw: request to ma28084.Solaris (unknown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antalexi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/awk not getting the message correctly

I have a script which will take two file as the inputs and take the Value in file1 and search in file2 and give the output in Outputfile. #!/bin/sh #. ${HOME}/crossworlds/bin/CWSharedEnv.sh FILE1=$1 FILE2=$2 for Var in $(cat $FILE1);do echo $Var grep -i "$Var" $FILE2 done > Outputfile I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwapnaNaidu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error message: What does it mean?

I get this error message in my maillog. Can someone tell me what it means? SYSERR(root): collect: I/O error on connection from mail-05.goomba.com I guess it means that the server could not connect to mail-06.goomba.com. Is my interpretation correct? Any idea why it happens? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Division by zero error message in AWK

How can I modify my awk code to get rid of the divion by zero error message? If I run the script without an input file, it should return error message "Input file missing" but not divison by zero. Code: #!/bin/nawk -f BEGIN { if (NR == 0) {print "Input file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk error message: division by zero attempted

Hi, I'm executing unixbench tool v4.1 on an embedded system and I'm getting these error messages: Execl Throughput 1 2 3awk: /unixbench/unixbench-4.1.0/pgms/loops.awk:38: (FILENAME=- FNR=4) fatal: division by zero attempted Pipe Throughput 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10awk:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogelio
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract XML message from a log file using awk

Dear all I have a log file and the content like this file name: temp.log <?xml version="1.0" encoding="cp850"?> <!DOCTYPE aaabbb SYSTEM '/dtdpath'> <aaabbb> <tranDtl> <msgId>000001</msgId> </tranDtl> ..... </aaabbb> ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: on9west
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command - not a valid identifier message

Trying to run the following awk command : export com.mics.ara.server.tools.sch_reports.Runner.num_threads=`awk -F= '!/^#/ && /com.mics.ara.server.tools.sch_reports.Runner.num_threads/{print $2}' $BKUPDIR/env.properties` -bash: export:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to supress error message with custom text

After a bash function is run the below file is produced: out_name.txt tab-delimeted Input Errors and warnings AccNo Genesymbol Variant Reference Sequence Start Descr. Coding DNA Descr. Protein Descr. GeneSymbol Coding DNA Descr. GeneSymbol Protein Descr. Genomic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)