Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How Do I Create A Multi Line Menu Variable? Post 302411513 by Corona688 on Thursday 8th of April 2010 05:39:18 PM
Old 04-08-2010
You can use echo's "-e" option to convert \n into real newlines.

given it's bash you can also just let the line cross multiple lines.

Code:
VAR="this
is
a
really
tall
variable"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using fmli to create menu's

I am currently having a problem creating a dynamic Menu that reads in from a file and appends this Menu list with an exit menu item. the syntax I am using to create the dynamic Menu is menu="$ARG1 Host names" `cat Hosts.data | regex '^(''.*)$0$' ' name="$m0" action=open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: craigmckeeman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using fmli to create menu's

I am currently having a problem creating a dynamic Menu that reads in from a file and appends this Menu list with an exit menu item. the syntax I am using to create the dynamic Menu is menu="$ARG1 Host names" `cat Hosts.data | regex '^(''.*)$0$' ' name="$m0" action=open Menu.Login.mnu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: craigmckeeman
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone show me how to create a menu?

Can someone show me how to create a menu? I want a script someone who is not unix literate can use, with some simple commands like ls -al a directory or find files based on a date, does anyone know how to make a simple menu ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taekwondo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line variable script... needs help.

I am trying to write a script that will help me put a file into excel with little manipulation. Below is a sample of the file im using. Group1:*:gid1:user,user Group2:*:gid2:user,user Group3:*:gid3:user,user,user,user,user,user,user Group4:*:gid4:user,user I marked in red the part that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a multi user input form

Hi All, Please ignore if terminology used is incorrect as I am new to Unix. I want to create a Multi user input form which looks something like this: ABCD TOOL Logged User: abcd12 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhu0007
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to create a multi-chat server using UDP?

Hifriends I have a doubt . how to create a multi-chat server using UDP which can run on MAC systems.. Thank u in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babbu25
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in create menu with 3 sub menu using the case command

hi all i am a newbie to this is there any examples on creating a main menu with 3 sub menu main menu -> option a , b and c a menu -> option 1 ,2 and 3 b menu -> option 1 ,2 c menu -> option 1 ,2 i am getting headache as my code kept getting unexpected EOF ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercm
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Multi-line data to be stored in variable

Greetings Experts, As part of automating the sql generation, I have the source table name, target table name, join condition stored in a file join_conditions.txt which is a delimited file (I can edit the file if for any reason). The reason I needed to store is I have built SELECT list without... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies
XmOptionButtonGadget(library call)										XmOptionButtonGadget(library call)

NAME
XmOptionButtonGadget -- A RowColumn function that obtains the widget ID for the CascadeButtonGadget in an OptionMenu SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/RowColumn.h> Widget XmOptionButtonGadget( Widget option_menu); DESCRIPTION
XmOptionButtonGadget provides the application with the means for obtaining the widget ID for the internally created CascadeButtonGadget. Once the application has obtained the widget ID, it can adjust the visuals for the CascadeButtonGadget, if desired. When an application creates an instance of the OptionMenu widget, the widget creates two internal gadgets. One is a LabelGadget that is used to display RowColumn's XmNlabelString resource. The other is a CascadeButtonGadget that displays the current selection and provides the means for posting the OptionMenu's submenu. The user can specify resources in a resource file for the automatically created widgets and gadgets of an OptionMenu. The following list identifies the names of these widgets (or gadgets) and the associated OptionMenu areas. Option Menu Label Gadget OptionLabel Option Menu Cascade Button OptionButton option_menu Specifies the OptionMenu widget ID For a complete definition of RowColumn and its associated resources, see XmRowColumn(3). RETURN
Returns the widget ID for the internal button. RELATED
XmCreateOptionMenu(3), XmCascadeButtonGadget(3), XmOptionLabelGadget(3), and XmRowColumn(3). XmOptionButtonGadget(library call)