Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ignoring newlines in my search Post 302411404 by ndedhia1 on Thursday 8th of April 2010 11:52:09 AM
Old 04-08-2010
I tried that put I did not get any result.
Can you please explain to me what the code is doing?
Maybe I can explain it better also:
I have a file in which contains lines or error messages.
Those messages are deliminated with '^A' and each line has exactly the same number of values.
In my code, I take value number 1 and do something with it, value number 2 and do something with, etc, till I hit the last value.
95% of the file contains individual lines that all start with the 'low' and end with ' " 0' so those lines, I am having no trouble with.
5% of the file contains these lines over multiple lines and here is where I am running into a problem. If I try to do something with value 4, but it is on the 2nd line, then my grep gets all screwed up because i am not grepping over multiple lines.
So i need either one of two things.
Either I need to know how to grep over multiple lines so that newlines arent a problem or I need to figure out how to append all the lines that dont start with either 'low' or dont end with ' " 0"

Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose with two newlines as delimiter

Hi Guys, I have data in a file as follows: a 1 2 3 b 4 5 6 a 6 7 8 a 4 7 9 b 6 8 5 c 0 8 7 So the number of rows which have data is variable (2 for the first group, one for the second group and three for the third group), but the delimiters between the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove improperly placed newlines

Hello, there. I have a file that's a horrible, horrible mess. (Basically, it's an export from a firewall config.) The people who generated the file didn't think that putting a newline in the middle of a hostname would ever be a problem. It is. Here's an example of the stuff in the file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignoring case in sed search

I am getting a parameter from a user and I need to use it to search and return the matching line numbers in a file. I am using this code: recordNumber="$(sed -n '/'"$entry"'/{ = d }' unixdb1.txt)" where $entry is the passed search parameter. The problem is I need to ignore the case. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete newlines after every one space

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 Can anyone please let me know how I can format my text like this? abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 I know how to space to newlines using tr but don't know how to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace commas with newlines

Good afternoon, I am trying to read user input. Here is what I have so far: echo "Type the Container ID for every container that you want subnets exported" echo "for (with comma between each one, for example... 1,45,98)" echo -n "if you want every one listed, then just type ALL in caps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newlines

Hi buddy's my file are like this: s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30," ebdug gil",,4 but i want s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30,"ebdug gil",,4 any command or Shell script for this. please help me it's urgent to implement (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneelbabu.etl
33 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search for max and min while ignoring special character

I am trying to get a simple min/max script to work with the below input. Note the special character (">") within it. Script awk 'BEGIN{max=0}{if(($1)>max) max=($1)}END {print max}' awk 'BEGIN{min=0}{if(($2)<min) min=($2)}END {print min}' Input -122.2840 42.0009 -119.9950 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formatting with newlines

Hi All - I am in need of some help in formating the below file Requirement - 1) replace newlines with space 2) replace '#~# ' with newline ----------------------- sample inputfile a I|abc|abc|aaa#~# I|sddddd|tya|dfg sfd ssss#~# I|tya1|tya2|dfg|sfd|aaa#~#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: J1nx007
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file with Newlines

Hi Friends, I have a data file with new lines. How to remove the newlines and should be showed in one line. I tried using the command tr -d '\n' filename sed 's/\n//g' file name Ex: 1 abc hyd is actual record but in our scenario showing it as 1 abc hydthis record should be like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies
g3cat(1)						       mgetty+sendfax manual							  g3cat(1)

NAME
g3cat - concatenate multiple g3 documents SYNOPSIS
g3cat [-l] [-a] g3-file1 ... DESCRIPTION
g3cat concatenates g3 files. These can either be 'raw', that is, bitmaps packed according to the CCITT T.4 standard for one-dimensional bitmap encoding, or 'digifax' files, created by GNU's GhostScript package with the digifax drivers. Its output is a concatenation of all the input files, in raw G3 format, with two white lines in between. If a - is given as input file, stdin is used. If the input data is malformed, a warning is printed to stderr, and the output file will have a blank line at this place. OPTIONS
-l separate files with a one-pixel wide black line. -h <blank lines> specifies the number of blank lines g3cat should prepend to each page. Default is 0. -L <lines> limit lenght of output page to maximum <lines> lines. SPECIAL-CASE OPTIONS -w <width> specifies the desired page width in pixels per line. Default is 1728 PELs, and this is mandatory if you want to send the fax to a standard fax machine. If one of the input files doesn't match this line width (for example because it was created by a broken G3 creator), a warning is printed, and the line width is transparently fixed. -a byte-align the end-of-line codes (EOL) in the file. Every EOL will end at a byte boundary, that is, with a 01 byte. -p <pad> specifies a minimum number of bytes that each output line must be padded to. Padding is done with 0-bits before the EOL code. -R suppress output of end-of-page code (RTC). Example The following example will put a header line on a given g3 page, 'page1' and put the result into 'page2': echo '$header' | pbmtext | pbm2g3 | g3cat - page1 >page2 FILES
-- BUGS
Hopefully none :-). SEE ALSO
g32pbm(1), sendfax(8), faxspool(1) AUTHORS
g3cat is Copyright (C) 1993 by Gert Doering, <gert@greenie.muc.de> greenie 27 Oct 93 g3cat(1)