Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Day of the week from a string Post 302411385 by shash on Thursday 8th of April 2010 11:12:31 AM
Old 04-08-2010
Thanks vgersh99. I think it is working fine except it is just printing the first character. I mean for Sunday, the output is just S. Can you please let me know how to print atleast first 3 characters.

Thanks
Shash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating the day of the week

Hi all, I would like to calculate the day of the week using a supplied date. i.e. 20011012 = Day 5. Any ideas? Many thanks, ligs (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ligs
4 Replies

2. Programming

Function that gets the day of the week (0-6) ??

Hi , I am working at Unix system,using c lang. I need c fun which return the day of the week . For example : 0- Sunday. 1- Monday. .... 10x. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yesterday's Day of week

I need o get yesterday's day of week but im not exactly sure. the actual name is what i want. I can do it with numbers but im not sure with words. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing First Day Of The Week?

Hi All, Our system is running on Solaris 8 and we are using US locale. By default the First Day Of Week is Sunday, is it possible for us to change it to Monday? I have googled it but found very little of use. THanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fowlerleftfoot
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Get Day of Week from date

Hi All, I have date in string format 'YYYY-MM-DD'. I want to know day of the week for this date. Example. For '2005-08-21' my script should return '0' or Sunday For '2005-08-22' it should return '1' or Monday I want piece of code for HP-UX korn shell. Appreciate reply on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpapaiya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get day of week from cal

Hi all, I am trying to get dow from cal using below script #! /bin/bash YEAR=`echo $1 | cut -c 1-4` MONTH=`echo $1 | cut -c 5-6` DAY=`echo $1 | cut -c 7-8` for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 do dayofweek=`cal $MONTH $YEAR | awk '$i == $DAY {printf("%s","$i")}'` echo $dayofweek... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzylg
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

Find Day of Week

In HP-UX the date command does not have the "-d" switch like some other *nixes do. I'm working a simple script to tell me, given the day, month and year what day of the week that falls on. Assuming valid day, month and year input (I'd perform quality checks on the input separately, but not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwuerth
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get day of week from epoch time

Need assistance . Below code gives me the date but I wanted output as day of the week (wday) . Code: use Time::Local; my $time=timelocal(1,2,3,9,11,2013); $theTime = localtime($time); print "$theTime\n"; Result: Mon Dec 9 03:02:01 2013 Wanted output as only Mon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudoers for one day per week?

I have been volunteered by my boss to be the sysadmin for our production redhat server. He asked me to tighten the security to avoid mishaps like "rm -f *" that occured not long ago. Right now, we have 53 users sudo-ing into the machine and it is an audit nightmare. I am wondering if it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the week's day

Hi All, I have the below requirement , if i give the week number for ex 41 i need to get the date for Monday and thursday for this given week. my expected output is 13/10/2014 (Monday's date) and 16/10/2014 (Thursday's date) I am using GNU LINUX . Pls help me with your thoughts. Thanks in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
7 Replies
IDATE(3)								 1								  IDATE(3)

idate - Format a local time/date as integer

SYNOPSIS
int idate (string $format, [int $timestamp = time()]) DESCRIPTION
Returns a number formatted according to the given format string using the given integer $timestamp or the current local time if no time- stamp is given. In other words, $timestamp is optional and defaults to the value of time(3). Unlike the function date(3), idate(3) accepts just one char in the $format parameter. PARAMETERS
o $format - The following characters are recognized in the $format parameter string +------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |$format character | | | | | | | Description | | | | +------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | B | | | | | | | Swatch Beat/Internet Time | | | | | | | | d | | | | | | | Day of the month | | | | | | | | h | | | | | | | Hour (12 hour format) | | | | | | | | H | | | | | | | Hour (24 hour format) | | | | | | | | i | | | | | | | Minutes | | | | | | | | I (uppercase i) | | | | | | | returns 1 if DST is activated, 0 otherwise | | | | | | | | L (uppercase l) | | | | | | | returns 1 for leap year, 0 otherwise | | | | | | | | m | | | | | | | Month number | | | | | | | | s | | | | | | | Seconds | | | | | | | | t | | | | | | | Days in current month | | | | | | | | U | | | | | | | Seconds since the Unix Epoch - January 1 1970 | | | 00:00:00 UTC - this is the same as time(3) | | | | | | | | w | | | | | | | Day of the week ( 0 on Sunday) | | | | | | | | W | | | | | | | ISO-8601 week number of year, weeks starting on | | | Monday | | | | | | | | y | | | | | | | Year (1 or 2 digits - check note below) | | | | | | | | Y | | | | | | | Year (4 digits) | | | | | | | | z | | | | | | | Day of the year | | | | | | | | Z | | | | | | | Timezone offset in seconds | | | | +------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ o $timestamp - The optional $timestamp parameter is an integer Unix timestamp that defaults to the current local time if a $timestamp is not given. In other words, it defaults to the value of time(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns an integer. As idate(3) always returns an integer and as they can't start with a "0", idate(3) may return fewer digits than you would expect. See the example below. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Every call to a date/time function will generate a E_NOTICE if the time zone is not valid, and/or a E_STRICT or E_WARNING message if using the system settings or the $TZ environment variable. See also date_default_timezone_set(3) CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Now issues the E_STRICT and E_NOTICE time zone | | | errors. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 idate(3) example <?php $timestamp = strtotime('1st January 2004'); //1072915200 // this prints the year in a two digit format // however, as this would start with a "0", it // only prints "4" echo idate('y', $timestamp); ?> SEE ALSO
date(3), getdate(3), time(3). PHP Documentation Group IDATE(3)