Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to call an sql script inside a while statement in KSH Post 302411272 by pludi on Thursday 8th of April 2010 05:54:07 AM
Old 04-08-2010
Read the post again. I said the ending token has to be the first and only thing on a line of it's own. The ending token is the EOF. Try to spot the difference:
Code:
#!bin/ksh
while IFS=, read var1 var2 
do

sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${ORACLE_SID} << EOF
    insert into ${TABLE}
        (
        appt_date
        )
  values
        (
        '${var1 }'
        );
    COMMIT;
    exit;
EOF

done < "$file"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call pl/sql in unix script

sample code as following: test_sql(){ #test#echo test_sql str=`$ORACLE_BIN/sqlplus -s $user/$passwd <<EOM set verify off set heading off set feedback off #--------start pl/sql { DECLARE CURSOR pah_cs IS select id from table where letter = 'abcd';... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: YoYo
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can a call shell script from pl/sql

I like to call a shell script from pl/sql proceduere and i have to use the shell script return value in that procedure. i am using oracle 9i and cygwin. can any one suggest me how can i do this (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh.P
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i call a shell script from pl/sql

I would like to call the shell script from pl/sql and i need to uses the value returned by the shell script in pl/sql procedure. can any one suggest me how can i do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh.P
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit statement ignored inside KSH function

Hi All, I have multiple functions in my script and I'm trying to capture stdout from some of them, but I also do some error checking in them (in the functions that output something to their stdout that needs capturing) and I need to be able to end the entire script with an error message. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkubok
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

call sql through shell script

Hi i am not able to connect sqlplus my script is as follows $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus << ! > /tmp/extract/DM.txt and output is SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.7.0 - Production on Wed Jan 18 02:53:54 2012 Copyright (c) 1982, 2008, Oracle. All rights reserved. Enter user-name: t175481... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar_spatil
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Call sql script

I want to call the sql query from UNIX..but how to set page size and other necessary parameters i don't know plz guide me how to do this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

issues with sql inside if statement

Hi, I have problem with the following code. My IF block is not executed. And I see "syntax error near unexpected token `)'" error for line "EOF" in the stats_function(). but when I comment the IF block I don't see this error. Kindly help me with this issue. clean_function() {... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using PHP , call a sql inside a unix script

I am running the xampp on WINDOWS, and my php script is connecting to a unix script on a different server (ssh2_connect("11.31.138.56", 22). I am running the unix script and inside this script I am calling the .sql file . The SQL is connecting to oracle db on the unix server. But the sqlplus... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madfox
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Call a UNIX script inside another and dont wait for it

Hi I have two scripts script1.sh and script2.sh(say this script is a long running). I want to call script2.sh inside and script1.sh,but when i call script2.sh i dont want to wait for script2 to complete and want this to run in back ground and go on next commands in script 1.sh and finally at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies
read(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/read [-r] var... sh read name... csh set variable = $< ksh read [ -prsu [n]] [ name ? prompt] [name...] DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/read The read utility will read a single line from standard input. By default, unless the -r option is specified, backslash () acts as an escape character. If standard input is a terminal device and the invoking shell is interactive, read will prompt for a continuation line when: o The shell reads an input line ending with a backslash, unless the -r option is specified. o A here-document is not terminated after a NEWLINE character is entered. The line will be split into fields as in the shell. The first field will be assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are fewer var operands specified than there are fields, the leftover fields and their interven- ing separators will be assigned to the last var. If there are fewer fields than vars, the remaining vars will be set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands will affect the current shell execution environment. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following: (read foo) nohup read ... find . -exec read ... ; it will not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment. The standard input must be a text file. sh One line is read from the standard input and, using the internal field separator, IFS (normally space or tab), to delimit word boundaries, the first word is assigned to the first name, the second word to the second name, and so on, with leftover words assigned to the last name. Lines can be continued using ewline. Characters other than NEWLINE can be quoted by preceding them with a backslash. These backslashes are removed before words are assigned to names, and no interpretation is done on the character that follows the backslash. The return code is 0, unless an end-of-file is encountered. csh The notation: set variable = $< loads one line of standard input as the value for variable. (See csh(1)). ksh The shell input mechanism. One line is read and is broken up into fields using the characters in IFS as separators. The escape character, (), is used to remove any special meaning for the next character and for line continuation. In raw mode, -r, the character is not treated specially. The first field is assigned to the first name, the second field to the second name, and so on, with leftover fields assigned to the last name. The -p option causes the input line to be taken from the input pipe of a process spawned by the shell using |&. If the -s flag is present, the input will be saved as a command in the history file. The flag -u can be used to specify a one digit file descriptor unit n to read from. The file descriptor can be opened with the exec special command. The default value of n is 0. If name is omitted, REPLY is used as the default name. The exit status is 0 unless the input file is not open for reading or an end-of-file is encoun- tered. An end-of-file with the -p option causes cleanup for this process so that another can be spawned. If the first argument contains a ?, the remainder of this word is used as a prompt on standard error when the shell is interactive. The exit status is 0 unless an end-of- file is encountered. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -r Does not treat a backslash character in any special way. Considers each backslash to be part of the input line. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: var The name of an existing or non-existing shell variable. EXAMPLES
Example 1: An example of the read command The following example for /usr/bin/read prints a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line: example% while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of read: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. IFS Determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. PS2 Provides the prompt string that an interactive shell will write to standard error when a line ending with a backslash is read and the -r option was not specified, or if a here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), line(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1995 read(1)