Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Strange, date and touch returning different times. Post 302411260 by markn86 on Thursday 8th of April 2010 05:24:48 AM
Old 04-08-2010
Strange, date and touch returning different times.

Hi guys,

Hope one of you guys can sort this out for me.

I first noticed this when users were uploading files from our website to our server and the time uploaded was +18 hours ahead of the current time. At first I assumed this was an issue with the coding, but didn't think it was likely as we are using moodle, which gets tested thoroughly.

After going through the actual moodle source code and seeing how the timestamp was generated I noticed it used the php function filemtime.

I then shelled into the server and typed out the command date, which returned the correct date. I then did touch test.txt and noticed that the modified date (using ls -l) for test.txt was 18 hours ahead, which lead me to believe that it wasn't anything to do with Moodle but the unix server itself.

The server is running Ubuntu 8.04.

If you need anymore information please let me know.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange "TOUCH" problem

On HPUX 11i, when using touch command to create a file 45mins old, I get the following error message: touch: cannot change times on /tmp/timestamp Any ideas??? cheers Bud (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

2. AIX

how would you know your server was rebooted 3 times or 5 times

Is there such location or command to know how many times did you reboot your server in that particular day?in AIX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch all files and subdirectories (recursive touch)

I have a folder with many subdirectories and i need to set the modified date to today for everything in it. Please help, thanks! I tried something i found online, find . -print0 | xargs -r0 touch but I got the error: xargs: illegal option -- r (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make a log.txt and add date and time when use ls,touch and find

Hey guy, how to make the log.txt file and record date and time when ls, touch and find command run? Thanks Boly (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenboly
13 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Touch a file with creation date as 30 min past.

Hi All, I would like to create a file say test.txt. And the requirement is its creation date should be 30 minutes past. For Example : If i am creating a file at 2:00 am means. Creation time should be 01:30 am. likewise if i am creating a file at 5 pm means. Creation date should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Touch - changing date and time

Hi, I am facing a problem with the command - TOUCH on Linux. See the example below: File on Linux: rw-rw-r-- user1 user1 Jan 01 09:00 test.txt The file - test.txt was created by the user - user1. Now, I want to change the date and time, but using other user - user2 The user2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: brjohnsmith
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior returning incorrect count

On AIX When I Run the commands below I get - cat tt11.ksh #!/bin/ksh ps -eaf |grep tt11.ksh|grep -v grep|wc -l count=`ps -eaf |grep tt11.ksh|grep -v grep|wc -l` echo "value of count is $count" Output (what I expected) ./tt11.ksh 1 value of count is 1 When I Run... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: st11669
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne returning files based on creation date

I'm wanting to write a bourne shell script that takes in two command line arguments - a directory and a file. With this I want to return a list of files within the directory that are older (based on creation date) than the given file, and print the number of files that have not been listed (they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: britty4
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date: invalid date trying to set Linux date in specific format

i try to set linux date & time in specific format but it keep giving me error Example : date "+%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" or date +"%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" keep giving me this error : date: invalid date ‘19-01-2017 00:05:01' Please use CODE tags... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
DATE_SUNRISE(3) 							 1							   DATE_SUNRISE(3)

date_sunrise - Returns time of sunrise for a given day and location

SYNOPSIS
mixed date_sunrise (int $timestamp, [int $format = SUNFUNCS_RET_STRING], [float $latitude = ini_get("date.default_latitude")], [float $longitude = ini_get("date.default_longitude")], [float $zenith = ini_get("date.sunrise_zenith")], [float $gmt_offset]) DESCRIPTION
date_sunrise(3) returns the sunrise time for a given day (specified as a $timestamp) and location. PARAMETERS
o $timestamp - The $timestamp of the day from which the sunrise time is taken. o $format - $format constants +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+ | constant | | | | | | | description | | | | | | example | | | | +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+ | SUNFUNCS_RET_STRING | | | | | | | returns the result as string | | | | | | 16:46 | | | | | SUNFUNCS_RET_DOUBLE | | | | | | | returns the result as float | | | | | | 16.78243132 | | | | |SUNFUNCS_RET_TIMESTAMP | | | | | | | returns the result as integer (timestamp) | | | | | | 1095034606 | | | | +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+ o $latitude - Defaults to North, pass in a negative value for South. See also: date.default_latitude o $longitude - Defaults to East, pass in a negative value for West. See also: date.default_longitude o $zenith - Default: date.sunrise_zenith o $gmtoffset - Specified in hours. RETURN VALUES
Returns the sunrise time in a specified $format on success or FALSE on failure. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Every call to a date/time function will generate a E_NOTICE if the time zone is not valid, and/or a E_STRICT or E_WARNING message if using the system settings or the $TZ environment variable. See also date_default_timezone_set(3) CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Now issues the E_STRICT and E_NOTICE time zone | | | errors. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 date_sunrise(3) example <?php /* calculate the sunrise time for Lisbon, Portugal Latitude: 38.4 North Longitude: 9 West Zenith ~= 90 offset: +1 GMT */ echo date("D M d Y"). ', sunrise time : ' .date_sunrise(time(), SUNFUNCS_RET_STRING, 38.4, -9, 90, 1); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Mon Dec 20 2004, sunrise time : 08:54 SEE ALSO
date_sunset(3). PHP Documentation Group DATE_SUNRISE(3)