Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read Files on the Fly
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read Files on the Fly Post 302411239 by Jairaj on Thursday 8th of April 2010 04:19:28 AM
Old 04-08-2010
Is your requirement is below :?

Code:
for fname in`ls /fly/*.img`                                                                                                  do
echo "File name is :$fname"
done

---------- Post updated at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:18 AM ----------

Correct one is :
Code:
for fname in `ls /fly/*.img`                                                                                                    
do
echo "File name is :$fname"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files on the fly

Hi everyone, I am sort of new to shell scripting, I have a bunch of files that begin with 'blah' and I want to rename those files with something different (renamedFile1, renamedFile2, renamedFileN). I don't want to go through each file and rename them with the mv command. Could I just use a for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcor
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv and compress on the fly

I want to move and compress a big export file. Like mv file_exp /filesystem/file_exp |compress The file system is too small to compress and move with 2 steps. What is the best command for me. I'm running solaris. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simquest
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving multiple files and renaming them on the fly

Hi All, Being new to scripting I am facing a new situation. We have an application that generates a file lets say dumpfile for each user under the users home directory when they execute the application. This is quite a huge file and imagine having that for over 40 users on a daily basis. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daemongk
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Disable IPMP on the fly

Wats would be the best way to disable link based IPMP on the fly without loosing network connectivity ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

The Only Way To Fly !

This is great! Lqh8e2KYIrU (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read log files from last read

Hi i am looking a way to look at a log file(log.txt) from the last time I've read it. However after some days the main log file(log.txt) is rename to (log.txt.1). So now i will have two log files as below. log.txt.1 log.txt Now, i have to read the log from the point where i have left... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitsks
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to gzip files "on fly" before copying

Hello, I want to gzip some files before copying to remote host. There is no freespace on source host so it needs to be perfomed within one-liner. I tried the following but it didn't work gzip -c -9 all_rvds.xml |ssh targethost "dd of=/tmp/all_rvds.xml.gz" cat all_rvds.xml |gzip -c9 |ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Creating An Executable On The Fly...

Hi all... Had an idea tonight which could really enhance shell scripting for me. Yes I am aware there could be difficulties but...... Creating a C script inside the shell script to do a task, (a simple text print to stdout in this example), compiling it on the fly, making sure it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute script on the fly

Hi all, I am calling a zsh script from batch file . This zsh just removes the trigger file in a particular directory.File name is passed as a parameter from the batch file Problem is this batch is called in multiple other batch files and sometimes system says file cant be used as it is used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
4 Replies
GETLASTLOGX(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    GETLASTLOGX(3)

NAME
getlastlogx, getutmp, getutmpx, updlastlogx, updwtmpx, utmpxname -- user accounting database functions LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> struct lastlogx * getlastlogx(const char *fname, uid_t uid, struct lastlogx *ll); void getutmp(const struct utmpx *ux, struct utmp *u); void getutmpx(const struct utmp *u, struct utmpx *ux); int updlastlogx(const char *fname, uid_t uid, struct lastlogx *ll); int updwtmpx(const char *file, const struct utmpx *utx); int utmpxname(const char *fname); DESCRIPTION
The getlastlogx() function looks up the entry for the user with user id uid in the lastlogx(5) file given by fname and returns it in ll. If the provided ll is NULL, the necessary space will be allocated by getlastlogx() and should be free()d by the caller. The getutmp() function fills out the entries in the struct utmp u with the data provided in the struct utmpx ux. getutmpx() does the oppo- site, filling out the entries in the struct utmpx ux with the data provided in the struct utmp u, and initializing all the unknown fields to 0. The sole exception is the ut_type field, which will be initialized to USER_PROCESS. The updlastlogx() function tries to update the information for the user with the user id uid in the lastlogx(5) file given by fname with the data supplied in ll. A struct lastlogx is defined like this: struct lastlogx { struct timeval ll_tv; /* time entry was created */ char ll_line[_UTX_LINESIZE]; /* tty name */ char ll_host[_UTX_HOSTSIZE]; /* host name */ struct sockaddr_storage ll_ss; /* address where entry was made from */ }; All the fields should be filled out by the caller. The updwtmpx() function updates the wtmpx(5) file file with the utmpx(5) entry utx. The utmpxname() function sets the default utmpx(5) database file name to fname. RETURN VALUES
getlastlogx() returns the found entry on success, or NULL if it could not open the database, could not find an entry matching uid in there, or could not allocate the necessary space (in case ll was NULL). utmpxname() returns 1 on success, or 0 if the supplied file name was too long or did not end with 'x'. updlastlogx() and updwtmpx() return 0 on success, or -1 in case the database or file respectively could not be opened or the data not written into it. SEE ALSO
endutxent(3), loginx(3), utmpx(5) HISTORY
The functions getutmp(), getutmpx(), updwtmpx(), and utmpxname() first appeared in Solaris. getlastlogx and updlastlogx first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. BSD
August 26, 2003 BSD