Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can anyone guide me with the BASH scripting Post 302410706 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 6th of April 2010 03:31:30 PM
Old 04-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyork2001
I tried that the NEW file seems NOT automatically fits in 3 columns in excel. I have to use "text to column" in excel . is there anyway to do this through the script?
If you are talking about the awk script, then try to print a tab-delimited output. I believe a single comma prints a single space in awk.

A tab-delimited text file should open up as an Excel worksheet with column-splitted data without requiring you to do anything else.

tyler_durden

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comprehensive guide for shell scripting programming

Dear all Any recommendation for this, web-site or publisher? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trynew
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should I do a bash scripting course?!

Hello, I'm confused (oh, yes). I'm running Linux at work. When I type 'echo $SHELL' I am told that I'm running tcsh. In /bin I note that both tcsh and bash are listed. Question 1: Can I swap to run bash rather than tcsh and, if so, how will this affect my system? Is there any advantage to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: macpete
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash scripting help

hi all i'm trying to get a script working upon connection with pppd According to docu this happens ina clean environment with a couple of variables set, namely $1,$2,... To be able to execute the statements i included a path statement but i think i'm running into trouble with the variables -... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimjones
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash scripting

Hello everyone!!!! I am new to this forum ...I have a problem. And I thought that you are expert :) so you can help me with that... I have a text file with maaany lines. Every line begins with something like that: <http aksjfskcuhrf kushkfsnus> <http sxnfrksehfsd gsdg r> I don't know if every... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary_elen
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash scripting

same script: 1- i am using grep to find a string called: tinker panic 0 in a file /etc/ntp.conf if the string is not there, i want to add the strings in /etc/ntp.conf file in the first line of the file. if not do nothing or exit. 2- also i want to add # in front of the following lines in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
0 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD