Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tail -XXX with grep doesn't work in while loop Post 302410629 by soleil4716 on Tuesday 6th of April 2010 12:01:48 PM
Old 04-06-2010
Also try putting quotes around the MSG variable:

Code:
grep "$MSG"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep doesn't work within shell script?

I am trying to run the following code from a script file but it complains that syntax of (both instances of) grep is wrong. When I copy and paste it to the terminal, it is OK. Any idea what the problem might be? set i = `grep -c #define flags.h` while ($i>20) @ i-- my func (`cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barisgultekin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why script For...Loop doesn't work. Seek help

I have written a script to run on UNIX server. When I tested, it always hanged on after "date +"%D %T: XXXXXX script started." part. Then it wouldn't go further. UNIX server gave me one error message. I used the same code in another script. It works fine. I think the major problem may be in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. Solaris

grep -e doesn't work on solaris

grep -e doesn't work in Soalris. Same script with grep -e worked on AIX/HP/LINUX.. I would like to search a list of patterns on "log.txt" like ... grep -e FATAL -e ERROR log.txt I get the error message as grep: illegal option -- e Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmkraja
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop doesn't work

I have a script which uses below for loop: for (( i = 0 ; i <= 5; i++ )) do echo "Welcome $i times" done But when I run the script, it gives error message: Syntex Error : Bad for loop variable Can anyone guide to run it? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For some reason, my grep doesn't work as expected

I am trying to find only those entries where 7018 and another number appear in the end of the line. 7018 2828 1423 2351 7018 2828 14887 2828 7018 1222 123 7018 1487 I am looking for a way to generate only the last two lines. I was trying to do just "grep '7018{1,5}" but it does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

two grep in one script doesn't work?

Hi there, the following script doesn't work. the first part works, then the second 'grep' fails with ': not found'. However, if I take out the second part (starting with the grep command) and put in a seperate script, it works. everyone know what's wrong here? no two 'grep' in one script, that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkey77
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work in loop but does if not

I have a script that only works if I remove it from the looping scenario. #!/bin/bash # Set the field seperator to a newline ##IFS=" ##" # Loop through the file ##for line in `cat nlist.txt`;do # put the line into a variable. ##dbuser=$line echo "copying plugin..." ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't "grep -w" ALWAYS work?

Working with IP addresses is a pain... Here's my problem: I'm putting some interface information to a file: 3.185.201.2 | Tu1102 152.162.54.130 | Gi0/2.36 3.185.226.2 | Gi0/1 3.185.0.82 | Tu1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: turk22
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep doesn't work when assigning to variable

Hello, First of all, I'd like to say hello to all members of forum. Can You please help me with the matter described below? I am trying to fetch a data from the file to variable, I am doing this using below script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i -E "Error|"` echo $returned ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
2 Replies
GIT-FMT-MERGE-MSG(1)						    Git Manual						      GIT-FMT-MERGE-MSG(1)

NAME
git-fmt-merge-msg - Produce a merge commit message SYNOPSIS
git fmt-merge-msg [--log | --no-log] <$GIT_DIR/FETCH_HEAD git fmt-merge-msg [--log | --no-log] -F <file> DESCRIPTION
Takes the list of merged objects on stdin and produces a suitable commit message to be used for the merge commit, usually to be passed as the <merge-message> argument of git merge. This command is intended mostly for internal use by scripts automatically invoking git merge. OPTIONS
--log In addition to branch names, populate the log message with one-line descriptions from the actual commits that are being merged. --no-log Do not list one-line descriptions from the actual commits being merged. --summary, --no-summary Synonyms to --log and --no-log; these are deprecated and will be removed in the future. -F <file>, --file <file> Take the list of merged objects from <file> instead of stdin. CONFIGURATION
merge.log Whether to include summaries of merged commits in newly merge commit messages. False by default. merge.summary Synonym to merge.log; this is deprecated and will be removed in the future. SEE ALSO
git-merge(1) AUTHOR
Written by Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com[1]> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by Petr Baudis, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[2]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. gitster@pobox.com mailto:gitster@pobox.com 2. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-FMT-MERGE-MSG(1)