Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tail -XXX with grep doesn't work in while loop Post 302410537 by sidobre on Tuesday 6th of April 2010 08:41:07 AM
Old 04-06-2010
Hi Panyam,

All environment variables are OK when I execute the script in debug mode. ORA_SID is the instance name like PROD or DEV...I've put the ORA_SID in the script just for not putting the true name.

The problem is if I execute the loop while, grep couldn't find the error in log file. grep -i also doesn't work. But if I execute individually the command below :
Code:
tail -400 ${ORA_ADMIN}/${ORACLE_SID}/bdump/alert_${ORACLE_SID}.log | grep ORA-XXXXX >> /tmp/ora600_${ORACLE_SID}.ora

It works.

Best regards

Abdel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep doesn't work within shell script?

I am trying to run the following code from a script file but it complains that syntax of (both instances of) grep is wrong. When I copy and paste it to the terminal, it is OK. Any idea what the problem might be? set i = `grep -c #define flags.h` while ($i>20) @ i-- my func (`cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barisgultekin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why script For...Loop doesn't work. Seek help

I have written a script to run on UNIX server. When I tested, it always hanged on after "date +"%D %T: XXXXXX script started." part. Then it wouldn't go further. UNIX server gave me one error message. I used the same code in another script. It works fine. I think the major problem may be in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. Solaris

grep -e doesn't work on solaris

grep -e doesn't work in Soalris. Same script with grep -e worked on AIX/HP/LINUX.. I would like to search a list of patterns on "log.txt" like ... grep -e FATAL -e ERROR log.txt I get the error message as grep: illegal option -- e Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmkraja
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop doesn't work

I have a script which uses below for loop: for (( i = 0 ; i <= 5; i++ )) do echo "Welcome $i times" done But when I run the script, it gives error message: Syntex Error : Bad for loop variable Can anyone guide to run it? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For some reason, my grep doesn't work as expected

I am trying to find only those entries where 7018 and another number appear in the end of the line. 7018 2828 1423 2351 7018 2828 14887 2828 7018 1222 123 7018 1487 I am looking for a way to generate only the last two lines. I was trying to do just "grep '7018{1,5}" but it does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

two grep in one script doesn't work?

Hi there, the following script doesn't work. the first part works, then the second 'grep' fails with ': not found'. However, if I take out the second part (starting with the grep command) and put in a seperate script, it works. everyone know what's wrong here? no two 'grep' in one script, that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkey77
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work in loop but does if not

I have a script that only works if I remove it from the looping scenario. #!/bin/bash # Set the field seperator to a newline ##IFS=" ##" # Loop through the file ##for line in `cat nlist.txt`;do # put the line into a variable. ##dbuser=$line echo "copying plugin..." ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't "grep -w" ALWAYS work?

Working with IP addresses is a pain... Here's my problem: I'm putting some interface information to a file: 3.185.201.2 | Tu1102 152.162.54.130 | Gi0/2.36 3.185.226.2 | Gi0/1 3.185.0.82 | Tu1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: turk22
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep doesn't work when assigning to variable

Hello, First of all, I'd like to say hello to all members of forum. Can You please help me with the matter described below? I am trying to fetch a data from the file to variable, I am doing this using below script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i -E "Error|"` echo $returned ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
2 Replies
XmScrollVisible(library call)											     XmScrollVisible(library call)

NAME
XmScrollVisible -- A ScrolledWindow function that makes an invisible descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrolledW.h> void XmScrollVisible( Widget scrollw_widget, Widget widget, Dimension left_right_margin, Dimension top_bottom_margin); DESCRIPTION
XmScrollVisible makes an obscured or partially obscured widget or gadget descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible. The function re- positions the work area and sets the specified margins between the widget and the nearest viewport boundary. The widget's location relative to the viewport determines whether one or both of the margins must be adjusted. This function requires that the XmNscrollingPolicy of the ScrolledWindow widget be set to XmAUTOMATIC. scrollw_widget Specifies the ID of the ScrolledWindow widget whose work area window contains an obscured descendant. widget Specifies the ID of the widget to be made visible. left_right_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the left or right edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved horizontally to make it visible. top_bottom_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the top or bottom edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved vertically to make it visible. For a complete definition of ScrolledWindow and its associated resources, see XmScrolledWindow(3) RELATED
XmScrolledWindow(3). XmScrollVisible(library call)