Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Useradd issue
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Useradd issue Post 302410483 by maverick_here on Tuesday 6th of April 2010 06:23:46 AM
Old 04-06-2010
Thanks a million mx1ram

Hi,

I actually fixed the issue an hour ago , actually i had this system configured for kerbores authentication ; I did the basic thing which i was dumb not to do initially i checked with /var/log/secure ( it was an issue with pam authentication )

b) Had a look at my /etc/nsswitch.conf file following were the entries

passwd: files winbind
shadow: files winbind
group: files winbind

I changed it to

passwd: files
shadow: files
group: files

This worked.

Your code ( i did test it on a different machine) works neatly Smilie.

I will have to explore Kerberos.

Again Thanks a Lot for you time and effort appreciate it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd

I work on some hp ux 11.00 Servers. i have to add an user. i use the useradd command like follows: useradd -u 72022 -g 71095 -c " comment " -d /PACKAGE_NAME/home/username -s /usr/bin/sh username The command returns with error 3. The manpage means value number 3: Invalid argument supplied to an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd

Hi. due to some needs i gave a user the premission to use useradd command with sudo. i want to know if there is a way to let him set the initial password, without giving him the premission to use passwd command as root (sudo). maybe a way to set a default password for all the new users that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorilevy
2 Replies

3. Solaris

useradd

Hi, I need to add a new user who will only be able to access one single folder on my Solaris 9 system. Can this be achieved by using just useradd or do i need to fiddle with auth_attr table? TIA, Selma (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selma
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd question

The man pages for useradd show the -k flag as a option, problem is I don't know what the description means. Could someone explain what "an alternative skel directory" is? Is skel an acronym? Thanks From the man page: -k, --skel skeldir Specify an alternative skel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with useradd script

Ok Im trying too make this shell script create users from my text file, I also want to type in a password for the new users. So thay can make a uniq one themself after first logon. #!/bin/sh # Sebastian schmidt clear echo "*************************************************************"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipmunken
3 Replies

8. Solaris

useradd

if useradd command is deleted in solaris how do we add user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
3 Replies

9. Solaris

useradd problem

:wall:i want to create a user in solaris whose password expires after every 30 minutes and he has to change his password after evry thirty minutes.How can we do that?:confused: thanx and regards, shekhar (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
17 Replies

10. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies
VIPW(8) 						    System Management Commands							   VIPW(8)

NAME
vipw, vigr - edit the password, group, shadow-password or shadow-group file SYNOPSIS
vipw [options] vigr [options] DESCRIPTION
The vipw and vigr commands edits the files /etc/passwd and /etc/group, respectively. With the -s flag, they will edit the shadow versions of those files, /etc/shadow and /etc/gshadow, respectively. The programs will set the appropriate locks to prevent file corruption. When looking for an editor, the programs will first try the environment variable $VISUAL, then the environment variable $EDITOR, and finally the default editor, vi(1). OPTIONS
The options which apply to the vipw and vigr commands are: -g, --group Edit group database. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -p, --passwd Edit passwd database. -q, --quiet Quiet mode. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shadow Edit shadow or gshadow database. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL Editor to be used. EDITOR Editor to be used if VISUAL is not set. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. /etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. SEE ALSO
vi(1), group(5), gshadow(5) , passwd(5), , shadow(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 VIPW(8)