Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Useradd issue
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Useradd issue Post 302410405 by m1xram on Tuesday 6th of April 2010 01:24:17 AM
Old 04-06-2010
Perl crypt()

See perldoc -f crypt.
Quote:
crypt PLAINTEXT, SALT
Where PLAINTEXT is the password in this case
Where SALT is a two character string, matches regexp /[./0-9A-Za-z]{2}/
Many people use seconds to come up with a SALT string but in a tight loop you may pull the the same second. Do something with this...
Code:
sub fractime () {
  use Time::HiRes qw ( time );
  my $now = time;
  $now -= int($now);
  return $now;
}

That will give you a factional time where you can use string operators to suck out two digits at a time and the modulo them to the set of 64 characters available for the SALT with...
Code:
sub randsalt($) {
  my ($fractime) = @_;

my $saltset = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789./';
  my $salt = "";
  for (my $i = 0; $i < 2; ++$i) {
    my $s = substr($fractime, ($i * 2) + 2, 2) % length($saltset);
    $salt .= substr($saltset, $s, 1);
  }
  return $salt;
}

So we call these two functions in Perl and return the password.
Code:
my $ft = fractime();
#print $ft, "\n";
my $salt = randsalt($ft);
#print $salt, "\n";
print crypt($ARGV[0], $salt), "\n";

See attachment for Perl code and remember to 'chmod' it. We can now get the proper password in BASH with...
Code:
#!/bin/bash
PASS=$(./test8.pl somepassword)

I tested the 'useradd' command and it worked correctly with adding the account under Fedora12. Sorry for the hedge bet but the documentation says the default '-p' option is to disable the account? This sounds strange.

Good Luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd

I work on some hp ux 11.00 Servers. i have to add an user. i use the useradd command like follows: useradd -u 72022 -g 71095 -c " comment " -d /PACKAGE_NAME/home/username -s /usr/bin/sh username The command returns with error 3. The manpage means value number 3: Invalid argument supplied to an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd

Hi. due to some needs i gave a user the premission to use useradd command with sudo. i want to know if there is a way to let him set the initial password, without giving him the premission to use passwd command as root (sudo). maybe a way to set a default password for all the new users that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorilevy
2 Replies

3. Solaris

useradd

Hi, I need to add a new user who will only be able to access one single folder on my Solaris 9 system. Can this be achieved by using just useradd or do i need to fiddle with auth_attr table? TIA, Selma (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selma
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd question

The man pages for useradd show the -k flag as a option, problem is I don't know what the description means. Could someone explain what "an alternative skel directory" is? Is skel an acronym? Thanks From the man page: -k, --skel skeldir Specify an alternative skel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with useradd script

Ok Im trying too make this shell script create users from my text file, I also want to type in a password for the new users. So thay can make a uniq one themself after first logon. #!/bin/sh # Sebastian schmidt clear echo "*************************************************************"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipmunken
3 Replies

8. Solaris

useradd

if useradd command is deleted in solaris how do we add user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
3 Replies

9. Solaris

useradd problem

:wall:i want to create a user in solaris whose password expires after every 30 minutes and he has to change his password after evry thirty minutes.How can we do that?:confused: thanx and regards, shekhar (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
17 Replies

10. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD> foo </TD> </TR> </TABLE> Tags that won't be formatted The <A> and <PRE> tags are not formatted. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser caus- ing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(CODE XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; BUGS
This section intentionally left blank. AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm dis- tribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 CGI::Pretty(3pm)