Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Useradd issue
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Useradd issue Post 302410177 by maverick_here on Monday 5th of April 2010 07:12:11 AM
Old 04-05-2010
Yes the

Code:
password=`echo "PASSWORDSTRING"|md5sum`

is not the user password,but iam trying to generate a md5sum encrypt password string which i could use in the following command

Code:
useradd -p $password $username

The "PASSWORDSTRING" is my desired password. which iam piping to md5sum to generate a encyprted password to feed in the command useradd using the -p switch.

I may be wrong.Ygemici,could you please elobarate on
Code:
char *crypt(const char *key, const char *salt); //syscall

any refrence/guidance would be highly aprreciated.

Thankds and Regards,
Syed

Last edited by pludi; 04-05-2010 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd

I work on some hp ux 11.00 Servers. i have to add an user. i use the useradd command like follows: useradd -u 72022 -g 71095 -c " comment " -d /PACKAGE_NAME/home/username -s /usr/bin/sh username The command returns with error 3. The manpage means value number 3: Invalid argument supplied to an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd

Hi. due to some needs i gave a user the premission to use useradd command with sudo. i want to know if there is a way to let him set the initial password, without giving him the premission to use passwd command as root (sudo). maybe a way to set a default password for all the new users that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorilevy
2 Replies

3. Solaris

useradd

Hi, I need to add a new user who will only be able to access one single folder on my Solaris 9 system. Can this be achieved by using just useradd or do i need to fiddle with auth_attr table? TIA, Selma (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selma
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd question

The man pages for useradd show the -k flag as a option, problem is I don't know what the description means. Could someone explain what "an alternative skel directory" is? Is skel an acronym? Thanks From the man page: -k, --skel skeldir Specify an alternative skel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with useradd script

Ok Im trying too make this shell script create users from my text file, I also want to type in a password for the new users. So thay can make a uniq one themself after first logon. #!/bin/sh # Sebastian schmidt clear echo "*************************************************************"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipmunken
3 Replies

8. Solaris

useradd

if useradd command is deleted in solaris how do we add user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
3 Replies

9. Solaris

useradd problem

:wall:i want to create a user in solaris whose password expires after every 30 minutes and he has to change his password after evry thirty minutes.How can we do that?:confused: thanx and regards, shekhar (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
17 Replies

10. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies
lx(5)							Standards, Environments, and Macros						     lx(5)

NAME
lx - Linux branded zone DESCRIPTION
The lx brand uses the branded zones framework described in brands(5) to enable Linux binary applications to run unmodified on a machine with a Solaris Operating System kernel. The lx brand includes the tools necessary to install a CentOS 3.x or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.x distribution inside a non-global zone. The brand supports the execution of 32-bit Linux applications on x86/x64 machines running the Solaris system in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode. Supported Linux Distributions The lx brand emulates the system call interfaces provided by the Linux 2.4.21 kernel, as modified by Red Hat in the RHEL 3.x distributions. This kernel provides the system call interfaces consumed by the glibc version 2.3.2 released by Red Hat. In addition, the lx brand partially emulates the Linux /dev and /proc interfaces. Configuration and Administration The lx brand supports the whole root non-global zone model. All of the required linux packages are installed into the private file systems of the zone. The zonecfg(1M) utility is used to configure an lx branded zone. Once a branded zone has been installed, that zone's brand cannot be changed or removed. The zoneadm(1M) utility is used to report the zone's brand type and administer the zone. The zlogin(1) utility is used to log in to the zone. Application Support The lx zone only supports user-level Linux applications. You cannot use Linux device drivers, Linux kernel modules, or Linux file systems from inside an lx zone. You cannot add any non-standard Solaris devices to a Linux zone. Any attempt to do so will result in a zone that zonecfg(1M) will refuse to verify. You cannot run Solaris applications inside an lx zone. Solaris debugging tools such as DTrace (see dtrace(1M)) and mdb (see mdb(1)) can be applied to Linux processes executing inside the zone, but the tools themselves must be running in the global zone. Any core files generated are produced in the Solaris format, and such files can only be debugged with Solaris tools. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWlxr, SUNWlxu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdb(1), zlogin(1), zonename(1), dtrace(1M), zoneadm(1M), zonecfg(1M), brands(5), zones(5), lx_systrace(7D) SunOS 5.11 19 Sep 2006 lx(5)