Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VIOS backup to DVD
Operating Systems AIX VIOS backup to DVD Post 302409804 by slow68 on Friday 2nd of April 2010 03:16:39 PM
Old 04-02-2010
VIOS backup to DVD

Trying to backup the VIOS system to DVD using the backupios command. The command completes and reports success yet there is nothing written to the DVD.

Hardware: Blade H series JS23/43

Code:
$ ioslevel
2.1.2.13-FP-22.1 SP-02

# lsdev -Cc cdrom
cd0 Available 2.1.2.3- USB DVD R/RW or RAM Drive

$ backupios -cd /dev/cd0 -cdformat -nosvg
Backup in progress.  This command can take a considerable amount of time
to complete, please be patient...

Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
Verifying command parameters...
Creating image.data file...
Creating temporary file system: /mkcd/mksysb_image...
Creating mksysb image...

Creating list of files to back up.

Backing up 76722 files.......................

76722 of 76722 files (100%)
0512-038 mksysb: Backup Completed Successfully.
Creating temporary file system: /mkcd/cd_fs...
Populating the CD or DVD file system...
Copying backup to the CD or DVD file system...
Building chrp boot image...
Creating temporary file system: /mkcd/cd_images...
Creating Rock Ridge format image: /mkcd/cd_images/cd_image_413868
Running mkisofs ...
mkrr_fs was successful.

Making the CD or DVD image bootable...
Writing the CD or DVD image to device: /dev/cd0...
Running readcd ...
Capacity: 1 Blocks = 2 kBytes = 0 MBytes = 0 prMB
Sectorsize: 2048 Bytes
CDB:  0A 00 00 00 01 00
cmd finished after 445.566s timeout 40s
burn_cd was successful.

Removing temporary file system: /mkcd/cd_images...
Removing temporary file system: /mkcd/cd_fs...
Removing temporary file system: /mkcd/mksysb_image...
$

The current work around is to make an image and then ftp it to another system to burn it to DVD. Yet I would rather find out what I'm missing here to get this working.

---------- Post updated at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:13 AM ----------

During this process it does not seem that the system is doing anything with the DVD drive.

Last edited by Scott; 04-23-2010 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Added code tags

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to take OS Backup of SLES 10 on DVD....???

Dear All, I have two intel xeon servers running with SLES 10 on a cluster environment (Veritas Cluster 4.1 - 2 Node Cluster - Active Passive). Both the systems are having hardware RAID 1 for OS disk. Both the systems are having DVD writer. I would like to take the OS backup on DVD which can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
0 Replies

2. AIX

VIOS Backup

Dear friends.. Will it be OK if I backup VIO Server Using smit mksysb?? will it save all virtual host mapings etc...??? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
3 Replies

3. AIX

Need help with mksysb backup on a DVD

i have an AIX server and planning to upgrade the operating system, before that i want to take a system backup which can be used in case of upgrade failure. i dont have NIM server t hold the mksysb backups. so i have the only option of taking the backup on DVD. i have the following optical drive... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
5 Replies

4. AIX

VIOS IP address - separate vlan for vios servers ?

Hello, Lets say for simplicity that I do not use any vlan config inside my server - one lpar group use hea physical port1, another group hea physical port2. Physical port1 configured as vlan1 on external switch, physical port2 as vlan2. What is the common practice - should I isolate my vios... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

5. AIX

VIOS backup

I have 4 VIO server. I have to take backup of VIOS. I got the command "backupios" for taking the backup. My question is if i am taking "backupios -tape /dev/rmt0 " whether it will take rootvg and all the user defined VG / File system which are using for virtual disk for client lpar. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
4 Replies

6. AIX

No response when inserting mksysb backup DVD #3

Hello AIXians, I have a corrupted file systems in my AIX server (6.1), which are /var, /home & /opt. I tried many times to fix them using fsck but it gives me: 'Fatal I/O error'. So I decided to restore them from bootable mksysb DVD (4 DVDs) after booting from these DVDs. Every thing was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
0 Replies

7. AIX

Using mkdvd to create bootable mksysb on dvd reports success but nothing on dvd?

Hello, Running AIX 7.1 7100-00-03-1115, trying to make a mksysb image to a dvd drive using mkdvd. My final command looks like this.. mkdvd -e -V rootvg -R -C /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_fs -I /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_images -M /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/mksysbimage -d /dev/cd0 -Y When i run this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
MOUNT_UDF(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MOUNT_UDF(8)

NAME
mount_udf -- mount an UDF file system SYNOPSIS
mount_udf [-c] [-g gid] [-o options] [-t gmtoff] [-s session] [-u uid] special node DESCRIPTION
The mount_udf command attaches the UDF file system residing on the specified special device node on the location indicated with node. Anonymous files stored on the UDF disc will be represented and saved in the specified uid:gid pair. If unspecified, it will default to nobody:nobody. Both uid and gid can be either specified with their names as with their numerical equivalents. -c Close the session after unmount creating remountable snapshots. Closing a session also allows -ROM devices to read the disc cre- ated. Note that this option only makes sense when mounting sequential recordable media like CD-R and DVD*R. -g gid Set the group of anonymous files on the file system. The default group is the nobody group. -o options Use the specified mount options as specified in mount(8). -s session Select the session session to be mounted instead of the default last one. Implements readonly snapshots on sequential media. Positive session values indicate an absolute session number. Negative session values are relative to the last session found on the disc. Note that this option only makes sense when mounting sequential recordable media like CD-R and DVD*R. -t gmtoff Set the time zone offset (in seconds) from UTC to gmtoff, with positive values indicating east of the Prime Meridian. If not set, the user's current time zone will be used. -u uid Set the owner of anonymous files on the file system. The default owner is the user nobody. SEE ALSO
mount(2), vnd(4), fstab(5), mount(8), umount(8), vnconfig(8) NOTES
UDF is a file system defined by the OSTA standardization group and is tailored for data interchange on optical discs (like CDs and DVDs) between different operating systems. Its also more and more common on other media like Compact Flash (CF) cards. Read and write access is supported for all media types that CD/DVD type drives can recognise including DVD-RAM. BluRay support is prelimi- nary; read-only access should work fine but write support is experimental. Implemented and tested media types are CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-MRW, DVD-ROM, DVD*R, DVD*RW, DVD+MRW, DVD-RAM but the same code can also read HD-DVD and BluRay discs. Discs created and written by UDFclient, Nero's InCD, and Roxio's DirectCD/Drag2Disc can be read without problems. Both open and closed media are supported so there is no need to close discs or sessions. All current UDF versions up to version 2.60 are supported. Hard disk partitions and vnd(4) devices may also be mounted. Note when mounting a vnd(4) device it might be necessary to specify the file image sector size in the geomspec when creating the vnd(4) device or the disc sector size will be used. BUGS
Write support for UDF version 2.50 is not completely mature and UDF version 2.01 should be used if possible; this is also the default format. Due to lack of test media and recording devices, BluRay support and in particular BluRay-R is still preliminary as of writing. BSD
July 13, 2009 BSD