Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move files from one location to another Post 302409630 by rudoraj on Thursday 1st of April 2010 05:38:41 PM
Old 04-01-2010
I am using

Linux 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 24 16:56:28 EST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

---------- Post updated at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:28 PM ----------

Get an error

find: missing argument to `-exec'
-bash: /: is a directory

---------- Post updated at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:33 PM ----------

Command works with a slight modification like below, but doesn't create the same directory structure as at the source

find /data/NewJersey -type f -mtime +33 -exec mv {} /home/scripts/NJ \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to move an application from one location to another

Hi all, I have installed an application (RRDTool) in /usr/local directory, Can any one tell me how I can move this to some other location along with the libraries. Thanks in Advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KK Varma
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files from one location to similar location

I need help in forming a script to copy files from one location which has a sub directory structure to another location with similar sub directory structure, say location 1, /home/rick/tmp_files/1-12/00-25/ here 1-12 are the number of sub directories under tmp_files and 00-25 are sub... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer files from one location to another location

Hi, i have to transfer of files of User1 located in Location1 to user2 located in Location2 using shell script. Please suggest me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Schedule a move job, from one location to another

There are two similar directory structures existing, e.g. old/ and new/, where old/d1/d2/d4/, old/d1/d2/d5/, old/d1/d3/d6/ and old/d1/d3/d7 contains some files and now I want to move those files from each folder to new locations new/d1/d2/d4/, new/d1/d2/d5/, new/d1/d3/d6/ and new/d1/d3/d6/. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abkush
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

After FTP unable to move file to other location

Hi Experts, I am using below script and facing some problems.. cd /home/user/test rm ftp://ftp.log Example: A_Bachfile_09292011.txt A=`ls -1 "A*.txt"` compress $A C=`ls -1 "A*` hostname="test.gmail.com" user="raju" Password="******" ftp -n $hostname <<EOF >>ftp.lpg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajubollas
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files to a different location

Hi Guys, I need to write a script that will loop on all of my oracle databases on a server and move archivelogs from archive destination to a different location. I do have a function to loop on all databases on a server. I want help in writing a fuction to dynamically get the archive... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a word and move it a specific location in xml file using perl?

Hi friends, I have one XML file having below structure :- INput XML file :- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <START> <A=value1> <attr name1="a1"> </A> <B=value2> <attr name2="b1"> <attr name3="c1"> </B> </START> output xml file should be === (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move a file in ftp command to other location?

hi, when i do ftp from unix to laptop which is running a windows os, it lands in a root folder. can i move a file from this root ftp folder to any other location in my laptop say , c:\files\ folder? i used rename command inside ftp , but it says incorrect parameter. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with copying the list of files from one location to other location

A) I would like to achive following actions using shell script. can someone help me with writing the shell script 1) Go to some dir ( say /xyz/logs ) and then perform find operation in this dir and list of subdir using find . -name "*" -print | xargs grep -li 1367A49001CP0162 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GG2
1 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)