Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to figure out a log dump command Post 302409560 by denn on Thursday 1st of April 2010 01:20:18 PM
Old 04-01-2010
your last post, looks like you are not following the examples given. you need to quote your echo commands... variables with spaces always require quoting.

Code:
testvariable3='Apr 1'

tark22@fmc1xx2rqf6d1 ~/
echo "$testvariable3"

### not this #/var/log #echo $testvariable  << notice  you have no quote around variable?

example below works fine:
Code:
$ testvariable3='Apr 1'

$ echo "$testvariable3"
Apr 1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump Command in Linux

Can anybody tell me please how to use the "dump" command in Linux command. dump -0u /destination /sourcefile or device file. Please correct me. -regards -Iftikhar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedifti
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

backup NetApp using dump command

I have been trying to backup my NetApp /vol/vol0 data to local tape drive. It is around 68GB. The tape I am using is DLT tape and should be able to handle 70GB data. However, dump always aborted around reaching 57~58GB data. Tape drive is attached on NetApp. 1st try to dump /vol/vol0 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yellowfish
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

For ufsdump you type in a "dump level". The man command mentions levels 0-9 and gives examples. Can anyone define what each level refers to? What does a level 0 dump mean? What is a level 9 dump? What are the differences? Thanks in advance:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Patman
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

Hi all, I am using embedded linux with my own RFS. But I want to use the dump command to try and solve some errors, but I don't know in wich package I can find the dump command. I hope someone can help me. With kind regards, Jurrian Dubbeldam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jurrian
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP log dump

Hello Admin ( and all ) ! Am looking for real time SNMP dump messages, probably some 2 to 3 days old message for efficacy testing in SNMP protocol that is introduced. Since this ours is a real-time site is it possible to get the dumps ? Or is this something like SNMP dumps are not shared... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command fault

im performing the dump command : dump 0uaf /dev/hdc /home an error msg appers says: DUMP: you cant update the dumpdates file while dumping a subdirectory DUMP: the entire dump is aborted can anyone help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: semosam
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a command to close a program with dump?

I'm running into some problems using pkill in my scripts. I'm using a program that needs to dump. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjaaron
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with change significant figure to normal figure command

Hi, Below is my input file: Long list of significant figure 1.757E-4 7.51E-3 5.634E-5 . . . Desired output file: 0.0001757 0.00751 0.00005634 . . . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
10 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Can't figure out the correct syntax for a command loading a webkit plugin

Hello, Using Bash on Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion). I downloaded a GrowlSafari plugin for Webkit from its GitHub page GitHub - uasi/growl-safari-bridge: GrowlSafariBridge enables arbitrary javascript (including Safari Extensions) to notify via Growl.. In the description it says that after installing for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
0 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)