Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find and regexp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find and regexp Post 302409290 by Scott on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 03:18:02 PM
Old 03-31-2010
Hi.

It uses normal filename expansion (not regular expressions). Drop the dots...

Code:
find / -name "*chapter*"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regexp

Hi guys, does anyone know how to test for a regular expression - i want to include it in a script to make sure the variable is a regexp cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp help

I'd like to know if there is a catchall line for renaming the following patterns: s01e03 -> 01x03 s4e9 -> 04x09 s10e08 ->10x08 and possibly even: 318 -> 03x18 1002 ->10x02 if its the first 3 or first digit number in the string. thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regexp

Hi there! I would like to know how to find and replace all numbers in a *.html file and make them bold. Any help will be appreciated! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print the line immediately after a regexp; but regexp is a sentence

Good Day, Im new to scripting especially awk and sed. I just would like to ask help from you guys about a sed command that prints the line immediately after a regexp, but not the line containing the regexp. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' filename What if my regexp is 3 word or a sentence. Im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownins
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed and regexp

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate any help I could get on the following topic. I am not very familiar with reg expressions nor with sed, I just know the basic uses. What I am trying to do is the following: I have a huge text file where I would like to replace all occurnces of a certain... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boxtuna
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use regexp to find an ipaddress from a query string?

I need help with a regexp to find out the ip address which can possibly be present in a URL. The URLs can be in any of the following form <domain>?a=12345&d=somestring1 <domain>?c=10.10.10.100&d=somestring1 <domain>?a=12345&b=somestring1&c=10.1.2.4d=somestring2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampak
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp in tcl

I need to change R3.1.5 as 03015 similarly R4.1.7 as 04017 i need a single command in tcl pls help ---------- Post updated at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:48 PM ---------- i had to do like this without using regexp set old_release "R3.1.5" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp

I would like to extract "1333 Fairlane" given the below text. The word "Building:" is always present. The wording between Building and the beginning of the address can be almost anything. It appears the the hyphen is there most of the time. Campus: Fairlane Business Park Building:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbaker@copesan.
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and Replace String in Perl - Regexp

Trying to find and replace one string with another string in a file #!/usr/bin/perl $csd_table_path = "/file.ntab"; $find_str = '--bundle_type=021'; $repl_str = '--bundle_type=021 --target=/dev/disk1s2'; if( system("/usr/bin/perl -p -i -e 's/$find_str/$repl_str/' $csd_table_path")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cillmor
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

A Regexp You Can Use Everywhere

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bakunin (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies
regcmp(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         regcmp(1)

NAME
regcmp - regular expression compile SYNOPSIS
regcmp [-] filename... DESCRIPTION
The regcmp command performs a function similar to regcmp and, in most cases, precludes the need for calling regcmp from C programs. Bypass- ing regcmp saves on both execution time and program size. The command regcmp compiles the regular expressions in filename and places the output in filename.i. OPTIONS
- If the - option is used, the output is placed in filename.c. The format of entries in filename is a name (C variable) followed by one or more blanks followed by one or more regular expressions enclosed in double quotes. The output of regcmp is C source code. Compiled regular expressions are represented as extern char vectors. filename.i files may thus be #included in C programs, or filename.c files may be compiled and later loaded. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(abc,line) applies the regu- lar expression named abc to line. Diagnostics are self-explanatory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the regcmp command. name "([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)$0" telno "({0,1}([2-9][01][1-9])$0){0,1} *" "([2-9][0-9]{2})$1[ -]{0,1}" "([0-9]{4})$2" The three arguments to telno shown above must all be entered on one line. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(telno, line, area, exch, rest) applies the regular expression named telno to line. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
A general description of the usage of the LC_* environmental variables can be found in environ(5). LC_CTYPE Determines how regcmp handles characters. When LC_CTYPE is set to a valid value, regcmp can display and handle text and filenames containing valid characters for that locale. LC_MESSAGES Determines how diagnostic and informative messages are presented. This includes the language and style of the messages, and the correct form of affirmative and negative responses. In the "C" locale, the messages are presented in the default form found in the program itself (in most cases, U.S. English). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
regcmp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 Dec 20 1996 regcmp(1)