Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Script to convert multilines to single lines Post 302409152 by ahmad.diab on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 09:35:40 AM
Old 03-31-2010
Dear Franklin52;
he said in his thread:-

Quote:
I need to create an script which reads multi lines and convert it to single line or enter escape sequence at end "\".
I think there are no other lines than the ones that he will put using read function.

another question ...what if the the multi lines (begin with "create") contain more than 3 row? then your code will fail as well.

Regards

Last edited by ahmad.diab; 03-31-2010 at 10:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

single input shell script?

hey, i'm trying to write a shell script which accepts: operand operator operand then, the script would see which operator it is (using case) and calculate it... but i dont know how to do it correctly with $1 $2 $3... (eliminating accepting separate inputs) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quipy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single Instance of a Shell Script

Hi, I have a shell script. What should I do to allow only single instance of the script to be run by a user at a time. That is, Only one user can run that script at a given point of time. Please help.. Its very important for my project Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

here-doc convert 2 script convert to single script?

I have my main script calling another script to retrive a "ls -alt" of a directory that's located in a remote location I'm sftping into. main.sh #!/bin/ksh getLS.sh > output.txt getLS.sh #!/bin/sh /home<..>/sftp <host@ip> <<! cd /some/dir/Log ls -alt quit ! Basically I'd like to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a single script in different shell

Hi All, I am new in UNIX.I have a situation here.:confused: I have a script which have to be run in every shell (like KSH,BASH,CSH). Script may be any thing. But i don't know how to do it.Because the syntax of every shell may be different. Please advise.. Thanks for your kind advise in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert a shell script to a php script for displaying next word after pattern match

I have a shell script which I made with the help of this forum #!/bin/sh RuleNum=$1 cat bw_rules | sed 's/^.*-x //' | awk -v var=$RuleNum '$1==var {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if($i=="-bwout") print $(i+3),$(i+1)}}' Basically I have a pages after pages of bandwidth rules and the script gives... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb245
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert to shell script

how to convert these code to shell script #include<stdio.h> #include<conio.h> main() { int i,j,a=0,b=0,c=0,f,t,al,ta; int a1, max, n, n1,p,k=0; printf(“\n enter no.of resources”); scanf(“%d”,n1); printf(“\nenter the max no .of resources for each type”); for(i=0;i<n1;i++)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syah
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Singleline to Multilines

Hi All, Could you please help to get the below output: Input: J1,ELLA_1,ISDR,JJK,TRS J2,ROSTER,JACK J3,HUP ... ... ... Output: J1,ELLA_1 J1,ISDR J1,JJK J1,TRS (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to convert IP range csv into a list of single IP's

Hi All, I am looking for some help to convert a csv with IP ranges in.. in the format e.g. 1.1.1.2, 1.1.1.5 2.1.1.10, 2.1.1.20 and would be looking to output as follows: 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3 1.1.1.4 1.1.1.5 2.1.1.10 2.1.1.11 etc etc up to 2.1.1.20 I have tried a few google... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zippyzip
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

NAME
diff3 - Compares three files SYNOPSIS
diff3 [-e | -x | -E | -X | -3] file1 file2 file3 The diff3 command reads three versions of a file and writes to standard output the ranges of text that differ. OPTIONS
Creates an edit script for use with the ed command to incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3 (that is, the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3). Produces an edit script to incorporate only changes flagged ====. These are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (that is, changes that are flagged ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlap- ping lines from both files are inserted by the edit script, bracketed by <<<<<< and >>>>>> lines. The -E option is used by RCS merge to ensure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's attention. Produces an edit script to incorpo- rate only changes flagged ====3. DESCRIPTION
The diff3 command reads three versions of a file and writes to standard output the ranges of text that differ, flagged with the following codes: All three files differ. file1 differs. file2 differs. file3 differs. The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to match another file is indicated in one of these two ways in the out- put: Text is to be added after line number number1 in file, where file is 1, 2, or 3. Text in the range line number1 to line number2 is to be changed. If number1 = number2, the range may be abbreviated to number1. The original contents of the range follow immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, diff3 does not show the contents of the lower-numbered file, although it shows the location of the identical lines for each. NOTES
Editing scripts produced by the -e option cannot create lines consisting only of a single . (dot). EXAMPLES
To list the differences among three files, enter: diff3 fruit.a fruit.b fruit.c fruit.a, fruit.b, and fruit.c contain the following data: fruit.a: banana grape kiwi lemon mango orange peach pare fruit.b: apple banana grapefruit kiwi orange peach pear fruit.c: grape grapefruit kiwi lemon mango orange peach pear The output from diff3 shows the differences between these files as follows. (The comments on the right do not appear in the output.) ==== All three files are different. 1:1,2c - Lines 1 and 2 of the first file, fruit.a banana grape 2:1,3c - Lines 1 through 3 of fruit.b apple banana grapefruit 3:1,2c - Lines 1 and 2 of fruit.c grape grapefruit ====2 The second file, fruit.b, is different. 1:4,5c - Lines 4 and 5 are the same in fruit.a and fruit.c. 2:4a 3:4,5c - To make fruit.b look the same, add text after line 4. lemon mango ====1 The first file, fruit.a, is different. 1:8c pare 2:7c - Line 7 of fruit.b and line 8 of fruit.c are the same. 3:8c pear FILES
Helper program. SEE ALSO
Commands: bdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), ed(1) diff3(1)