Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question regarding ksh script Post 302409087 by methyl on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 06:34:58 AM
Old 03-31-2010
It would help to know which shell you are running?

In many shells ":" is a command equivalent to the unix command "true". The command does not actually give a syntax error but I can't see it doing anything useful as posted - bearing in mind that space characters are critical when posting shell script.
The various "====" and "...." etc. you post are syntax errors which makes me wonder what file this all came from. Maybe it is an error messages data file or something?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ksh question

Hi, Simple question I am sure... I need to put yesterdays date in the name of a filename, ie assign yesterdays date to a variable and then I can use it where I want.. using the format yyyymmdd Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ask a question to a user in ksh

Hello, I am writing a script in ksh(for HP Unix)where a user must answer to a question . So I want to know kow to test if the user do not answer , so if he enter "REturn". I don't know how to test "space characters" or "empty characters Thanks for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about KSH line.

Wondering what this line meant, especially the 2>&1 and ${RUN_DIR} parts: ${RUN_DIR}/<filename> 2>&1 Where <filename> is the location and name of a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CapsuleCorpJX
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh question, loops

i want to add about 60 printers using a ksh script. i am having trouble though, i am reading the input from the hosts file and using the lpadmin command to add like so: lpadmin -p -v /dev/null -m netstandard -o dest= i want printername and ipaddy to come from the hosts file, i am having... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH scripting question

Good day, I am trying to write a script that completes an ssh challenge to a specific server and writes output to a log. We have shared ssh keys for the script user. My challenge is a simple hostname check; ssh $host hostname My problem arrises when there is an actual challenge, be it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: M-Pacificorp
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Question On Recursion In Ksh

Hi Folks, I would just like to know how recursion works in ksh or inside a shell in general. I created the following script, but it works(runs recursively) only for 64 times: ---------------- #! /usr/bin/ksh displaymessage() { echo "displaying count: $cnt " echo "wait for 1 second..."... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marlonus999
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh question

How can I know if my system has ksh feature? #!/usr/bin/ksh Which command we allow me to see? Please advise! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script -- loop and data copy question

I am trying to write a script that will allow me to train others with commands that I run manually by only allowing the exact command before continuing onto the next set of commands. Here is where I come into an issue. I have changed the directories for this post. Software we run creates files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurtzdonut
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)