Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Points to compare Linux distros Post 302408972 by fugitive on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 02:08:20 AM
Old 03-31-2010
Points to compare Linux distros

I 've a question regarding which points should be considered to compare 2 different linux distros say RedHat & Ubuntu. for a production environment
non-db applications ... any help will be appreciated ..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Universal Repositories for All Linux Distros

Is it possible to use Other Distro's ( i.e Debian's or Ubuntu's ) repositories in Fedora? If not then what should be done to make common repositories for all linux distros. regards, Arun Maurya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maurya
2 Replies

2. Linux

is there a guide for linux distros?

i`m trying to fidnd a distro that is good for m but it is not that easy i discovered, so if anybody please can give som tips i would been very happy thank you for reading:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMLiveLinux
3 Replies

3. Linux

Multiple linux distros in one box

Hi, This will be my first time to install 5 distros in one box, the ff. are: openSUSE 11, openSUSE11.1, Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 10 Now, I'm confused how would I partitioned my hard disk with a capacity of 80Gb where there is only one swap and no idea yet how to play with boot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Perl In Bash Script To Compare Floationg Points

Is there a way to compare two floating points numbers in a bash script using perl? I've tried just using a bash if statement and it doesn't seem to support floating point numbers. Can the perl line read vars from bash then output a var to bash? a=1.1 #from bash b=1.5 #from bash if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

5. Fedora

On Installing Multiple Linux Distros on a Computer

Guys, I was planning to install Ubuntu, Fedora and Backtrack on the same computer (along with Windows 7). My Specifications are: 2.67 Core i5 4GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB HDD I have a system running Windows 7 with 3 partitions (240, 130, 130) GBs. And I was planning on freeing out 30GB of space and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hMeU
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OpenSSL usage on Linux Distros

Hi, My server is Centos 6 i686. Is it possible get an openssl download from this site "https://www.openssl.org/source/" (which is used for 64 bit platforms) and use it on 32 bit platforms also? Thx, Aigini (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies
scandir(3)						     Library Functions Manual							scandir(3)

NAME
scandir, alphasort - Scans or sorts directory contents LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/dir.h> int scandir ( char *dir_name, struct dirent * (*name_list[ ]), int (*select) ( struct dirent *dir ), int (*compare) ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ) ); int alphasort ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ); PARAMETERS
Points to the directory name. Points to the array of pointers to directory entries. Points to a user-supplied function that is called by the scandir() function to select which entries to include in the array. Points to a user-supplied function that sorts the completed array. Points to a dirent structure. Points to a dirent structure. DESCRIPTION
The scandir() function reads the directory pointed to by the dir_name parameter. It then uses the malloc() function to create an array of pointers to directory entries. The scandir() function returns the number of entries in the array and, through the name_list parameter, a pointer to the array. The select parameter points to a user-supplied function that the scandir() function calls to select which entries to include in the array. The selection routine is passed a pointer to a directory entry and returns a nonzero value for a directory entry that is included in the array. If the select parameter is a null value, all directory entries are included. The compare parameter points to a user-supplied function that is passed to the qsort() function to sort the completed array. If the compare parameter is a null value, the array is not sorted. The memory allocated to the array can be deallocated by freeing each pointer in the array, and the array itself, with the free() function. The alphasort() function alphabetically compares the two dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 and dir2 parameters. This function can be passed as the compare parameter to either the scandir() function or the qsort() function. A user-supplied subroutine may also be used. RETURN VALUES
The scandir() function returns -1 if the directory cannot be opened for reading or if the malloc() function cannot allocate enough memory to hold all the data structures. If successful, the scandir() function returns the number of entries found. The alphasort() function returns the following values: Less than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexi- cally less than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. 0 (zero): The dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 parameter and the dir2 parameter are equal. Greater than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexically greater than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: malloc(3), opendir(3), qsort(3) delim off scandir(3)