Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix log files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix log files Post 302408746 by Irrational on Tuesday 30th of March 2010 10:53:24 AM
Old 03-30-2010
unix log files

The unix admins in work have forced us to use a custom restricted shell on one of our servers.From what i can tell, this shell tags log messages (using /usr/bin/logger) with various info (date, hostname, user, connection info, etc...). It also forces the execution of commands through ksh.I've not 100% sure of what is being logged though and would like to see what is being logged in relation to my commands etc...My question is where can I view the logs that logger has tagged?Cheers folks.

---------- Post updated at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:49 AM ----------

hmm. why did my paragraph formatting disappear?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Sco Open Server, Windows Computers Problem Access Unix Shared Files Help!!!!!

Hello Moto I hope someone can help We's here at work, have a unix box with sco openserver 5 on it, so it has a nice gui interface.. and also a fair few windows computers.. a system admin guy b4 me, has set up a user called neil, which can, when u try to access the unix box using windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an unix server.

Hi, Could someone please assist on a quick way of How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an UNIX(AIX) server.The file data needs to be extracted in flat text file or CSV or excel format . Usually we have programs in microfocus COBOL to extract data, but would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: devina
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write a program in c in unix that display the files(includ sub-direc and files within) in a sorted

the sorting is based on name of file, file size modification time stamps o f file it should dislay the output in the following format "." and ".." enteries should be ignored please give some idea how to do it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pappu kumar jha
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i parse my Unix log files??

Hello, i would like to parse Unix log files and i would like to use a Unix syslog analyzer. I'm going to use Eucalyptus and i would like to parse its log files. Is there any open source/free syslog parser?? Thanks, in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command/script svn log to get just the files information

Just need the directory name and files changes information in svn log This is my svn log verbose: svn log -v //test/svn/Demo/branches/HelloWorld/Batch --limit 2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ r133 | testuser1 | 2013-04-02 18:22:28 -0400 (Tue, 02 Apr... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
22 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to copy files from Windows to UNIX box

Hi Folks, I have a file name abc.xml in my windows machine at the location c:\ytr\abc.xml which I want to place at the unix box machine inside cde directory.. at the following location that is /opt/app/cde/ now the credentials of unix box are abc345 -->(dummyid) ftyiu88--->(dummy passwd) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files. i have log files which created from below command exec <processname> >$logfile but when it reaches some size i am redirecting to null while process is running like >$logfile manually but after that it writes some junk into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
7 Replies
LOGGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOGGER(1)

NAME
logger -- a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module SYNOPSIS
logger [-isd] [-f file] [-p pri] [-t tag] [-u socket] [message ...] DESCRIPTION
Logger makes entries in the system log. It provides a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module. Options: -i Log the process id of the logger process with each line. -s Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log. -f file Log the specified file. -p pri Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair. For example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational level in the local3 facility. The default is ``user.notice.'' -t tag Mark every line in the log with the specified tag. -u sock Write to socket as specified with socket instead of builtin syslog routines. -d Use a datagram instead of a stream connection to this socket. -- End the argument list. This is to allow the message to start with a hyphen (-). message Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag is not provided, standard input is logged. The logger utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. Valid facility names are: auth, authpriv (for security information of a sensitive nature), cron, daemon, ftp, kern (can't be generated from user process), lpr, mail, news, security (deprecated synonym for auth), syslog, user, uucp, and local0 to local7, inclusive. Valid level names are): alert, crit, debug, emerg, err, error (deprecated synonym for err), info, notice, panic (deprecated synonym for emerg), warning, warn (deprecated synonym for warning). For the priority order and intended purposes of these levels, see syslog(3). EXAMPLES
logger System rebooted logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) STANDARDS
The logger command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. AVAILABILITY
The logger command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4.3 Berkeley Distribution