Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Automated Patch Installations in AIX Post 302408703 by bakunin on Tuesday 30th of March 2010 08:42:32 AM
Old 03-30-2010
I don't think this would be a good idea: as zaxxon said, you patch because you need to, not because you can. If you have several systems all with their own software installed, chances are that all these packages have different OS requirements. The one might prescribe TL4 while the other might want TL5, etc.. A system requiring TL4 doesn't have to work with TL5 and vice versa, so the need for applying patches will be individual for each system.

My two cents.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Network Installations of Solaris

First off, I'm pretty new to Solaris, although I know Windows very well. I have a mixed Wintel, Linux and SPARC/Solaris environment and am looknig for a way to make short work of installing Solaris. I know there is a network booting option and there are the WebStart (configurable) and JumpStart... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BeekerC
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Patch-o-matic (patch for iptable) for linux2.4.08 & iptable1.2.7a

Hello friends I'm running Redhat 9.0 with linux kernel 2.4.20-8 & have iptables version 1.2.7a & encountering a problem that I narrate down. I need to apply patch to my iptable and netfilter for connection tracking and load balancing that are available in patch-o-matic distribution by netfilter.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

3. Linux

external dvdrw installations

Hello all, Please can someone assist? I am attempting to install an external dvdrw on fedora 6. I attach the dvdrw device to the USB port and run dmesg: scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices usb-storage: device found at 4 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Multiple Perl installations on HP-UX

This will undoubtedly seem like a problem that should be easily resolved but... We are having some 'issues' getting multiple versions of Perl installed on our HP-UX servers (11.11 & 11.23). Now, I'm not a Sys Admin but I believe the reason behind this is that the Perl installation which comes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Macer
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Packages installations on my servor

Hello everybody, I'd like to install several important packages on my servor like for instance, man pages package.. I found a .tar.gz package of man pages. So, after to do "gtar zxvf name_of_file.tar.gz" I can access on the folder "name_of_file" (by cd name_of_file). Then, I read on my readme... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MasterapocA
4 Replies

6. AIX

Automated Error Email Notification on AIX

Hello Folks, I would like to setup automated error email notifications for any hardware + software + Hacmp errors. How can I do it ? I have searched on the internet, i have found something like a script erronotifier or something like that... P.S. I don't want to use a third party... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

7. AIX

Finding patch level in AIX

Hi, How to find out patch level in AIX and what patches are installed on AIX box? As per my knowledge oslevel -s will give service and maintanance level description , but regarding patch level any command is there? Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

8. AIX

trying to patch aix 5.3 TL 5 to TL12

Need some help, just installed a new aix box with aix 5.3 honda # oslevel -s 5300-05-CSP-0000 i got a package from ibm which told me that it was a cumulative patch to upgrade my 5.3 TL 5 to TL 12. I downloaded it, took a long time, after installing using smitty, i get failed. so after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed123
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Patch management (Solaris, AIX , Linux )

Hi Guys, I am doing L1 Level support for Solaris Platform. Eg. User Management, File system , Print management and Job monitoring. I recently completer my IBM Aix 7 Administration certification. Issue is that my manager is asking me do full time unix / linux patch management work for new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nats
5 Replies
EDIT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
edit-patch, add-patch - tool for preparing patches for Debian source packages SYNOPSIS
edit-patch path/to/patch add-patch path/to/patch DESCRIPTION
edit-patch is a wrapper script around the Quilt, CDBS, and dpatch patch systems. It simplifies the process of preparing and editing patches to Debian source packages and allows the user to not have to be concerned with which patch system is in use. Run from inside the root directory of the source package, edit-patch can be used to edit existing patches located in debian/patches. It can also be used to incorporate new patches. If pointed at a patch not already present, it will copy the patch to debian/patches in the correct format for the patch system in use. Next, the patch is applied and a subshell is opened in order to edit the patch. Typing exit or pressing Ctrl-d will close the subshell and launch an editor to record the debian/changelog entry. edit-patch is integrated with the Bazaar and Git version control systems. The patch will be automatically added to the tree, and the debian/changelog entry will be used as the commit message. If no patch system is present, the patch is applied inline, and a copy is stored in debian/patches-applied. add-patch is the non-interactive version of edit-patch. The patch will be incorporated but no editor or subshell will be spawned. AUTHORS
edit-patch was written by Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@canonical.com>, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@canonical.com>, and David Futcher <bobbo@ubuntu.com>. This manual page was written by Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com>. Both are released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities EDIT-PATCH(1)