Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To find number of char occur
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To find number of char occur Post 302408640 by Jairaj on Tuesday 30th of March 2010 06:09:32 AM
Old 03-30-2010
To find number of char occur

To find out number of "|" symbol is available in file:

Input:

Code:
a|b|c|d|z

Ouput:
Code:

I am using below set of commands,It is working... Anybody have anyother solution using sed / awk.
Code:
    cnt=`wc -c <1.txt`
    cnt1=`tr -d "|" <1.txt >c.dat`
    cnt2=`wc -c <c.dat`
    outp=`expr $cnt - $cnt2`

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by radoulov; 03-30-2010 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of specific char in a string.

I wish to compute the number of dot chars in a string. Example: VAR="aaaa.bbbbb.cccc" I try the shortest command to solve this test. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Giovanni (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get number char from a string

for example: i hav a string like : /rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log how I can extract my_num=72736? I know I can echo "/rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log" | tr "/" " " | awk '{ print $4 }' to get rmsprdarch72736.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace all extended char.

Hi Guys, I wand find and replace all Extended ASCII Codes from all my log files. My Log files: /home/Kalr/PPool/Output i have logs file in sub dir. /home/Kalr/PPool/Output/X /home/Kalr/PPool/Output/Y /home/Kalr/PPool/Output/Z My Abc.log file input: Extended ASCII Codes :– ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find only 6 char long

find /tmp -type f -mtime +180 I have this script get the list to clean up files older than 180 days under /tmp. But, I want to make sure to grep only a type of files, which have only 6 character long. .... LT3hqa dRMoya ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find lines containing word that occur multiple times

i have a script that scans a log file every 10 minutes. this script remembers the last line of the log and then uses it to continue monitoring the log when it runs again 10 minutes later. the script searches the log for a string called MaxClients. now, how can i make it so that when the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count number of char?

hello how can i cont number of char with loop coomand? i dont want to use wc or other special command the script should check all word's char. one by one also a counter can handle the number As noted in other threads started today. This is not the correct forum for homework assignments. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find char field and replace null

hi, i having a file with | seperated in which i need to search char in 3rd column and replace with null. i need to replace only the coulmn where character occurs in 3rd field for eg: file1.txt xx|yy|xx|12 output file: xx|yy||12 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove char if not a number

I need to write a BASH script that takes a 2 character string and removes the second character if it is not a digit e.g. If the string is numberical value >9 e.g. string1 = '34' then leave string1 = '34'. However if the string is <10 e.g. string1 = '3X' then remove the second char (which... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies
QRENCODE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       QRENCODE(1)

NAME
qrencode - Encode input data in a QR Code and save as a PNG or EPS image. SYNOPSIS
qrencode [OPTION]... [STRING] DESCRIPTION
Libqrencode is a library for encoding data in a QR Code symbol, a kind of 2D symbology that can be scanned by handy terminals such as a mobile phone with CCD. The capacity of QR Code is up to 7000 digits or 4000 characters, and has high robustness. Qrencode is a utility software using libqrencode to encode string data in a QR Code and save as a PNG or EPS image. OPTIONS
-h, --help display help message. -o FILENAME, --output=FILENAME write image to FILENAME. If '-' is specified, the result will be output to standard output. If -S is given, structured symbols are written to FILENAME-01.png, FILENAME-02.png, ... (suffix is removed from FILENAME, if specified) -s NUMBER, --size=NUMBER specify the size of dot (pixel). (default=3) -l {LMQH}, --level={LMQH} specify error collectin level from L (lowest) to H (highest). (default=L) -v NUMBER, --symversion=NUMBER specify the version of the symbol. (default=auto) -m NUMBER, --margin=NUMBER specify the width of margin. (default=4) -d NUMBER, --dpi=NUMBER specify the DPI of the generated PNG. (default=72) -t {PNG,EPS,SVG,ANSI,ANSI256,ASCII,ASCIIi,UTF8,ANSIUTF8} --type={PNG,EPS,SVG,ANSI,ANSI256,ASCII,ASCIIi,UTF8,ANSIUTF8} specify the type of the generated image. (default=PNG) -S, --structured make structured symbols. Version must be specified. -k, --kanji assume that the input text contains kanji (shift-jis). -c, --casesensitive encode lower-case alphabet characters in 8-bit mode. (default) -i, --ignorecase ignore case distinctions and use only upper-case characters. -8, --8bit encode entire data in 8-bit mode. -k, -c and -i will be ignored. -M, --micro encode in a Micro QR Code. (experimental) --foreground=RRGGBB[AA] --background=RRGGBB[AA] specify foreground/background color in hexadecimal notation. 6-digit (RGB) or 8-digit (RGBA) form are supported. Color output sup- port available only in PNG and SVG. -V, --version display the version number and copyrights of the qrencode. [STRING] input data. If it is not specified, data will be taken from standard input. EXAMPLES
qrencode -l L -v 1 -o output.png 'Hello, world!' encode into a symbol version 1, level L. qrencode -iSv 1 --output=output.png read standard input and encode it into a structured-appended symbols in case-insensitive mode. AUTHOR
Written by Kentaro Fukuchi. RESOURCES
Main Web Site: http://fukuchi.org/works/qrencode/ Source code repository: https://github.com/fukuchi/libqrencode/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006-2012 Kentaro Fukuchi. qrencode 3.4.1 Oct. 9, 2012 QRENCODE(1)