Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Plist to Unix Executable
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Plist to Unix Executable Post 302408508 by unimachead on Monday 29th of March 2010 05:33:48 PM
Old 03-29-2010
The conversion seems to work well. This is what I've come up with. Let's say you've copied the plist to your desktop, we'll create a path to show you what it looks like:

/usr/bin/plutil -convert xml1 /Users/username/Desktop/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

In Casper 7.2, you should be able to upload the file but only after conversion. For some reason it doesn't seem to like just the raw plist and did not upload this particular file. But after conversion it worked like a charm.

Last edited by unimachead; 03-29-2010 at 06:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Cannot translate Unix executable files

Help!! I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as txt files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, the Word filters cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Converting Unix executable files

I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as Word or Word Perfect files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, it cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files? Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
4 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

the best way of editing .plist files

:( what is the best way of editing the various .plist files without adding third party files? Or is the easiest way is to add third party applications, which ones? please kept in mind that i am not a programmer. mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehow
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making UNIX script executable

Hello, I am very new to UNIX and I have been learning about writing scripts and making them executable. I created a script called myscript. It has three lines: #! /bin/sh # This is my first shell script echo friendsjustfriends Now I try to run it using the sh command and it works Next I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitx
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot run UNIX executable !

I have installed the Darwin Calendar Server on my Mac and got it working. To start the server I open a Finder window on my mac and click the UNIX executable called RUN. In order to start the server automatically on bootup I used LINGON to add a startup Daemon to call "RUN -d". When I reboot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thylacine
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using defaults read to get value from plist

Hi there, I'm trying to retrieve a value from a plist file, which I have done before with no problems, however this plist file looks a little different.... Normally it's like this; <plist version="1.0"> <dict> key>KeyName</key> <string>blah</string> I want the value of KeyName, so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davewg
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing executable files in unix.

How to list out the files which are not accessed for the last n days? and How to list out all the executable files in a directory? can anyone help me on the above? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix executable file

Hi - How can I find out under sh whitch file is an unix executable file? Need it for an software inventory. Thanks in advance. Regards - Lazybaer (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazybaer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write an executable file in Unix

Hi, I want to write an executable file in unix env to go to a particular path instead of always typing the long path cd /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/scripts/prejib/sample. I have tried with the below script in but not working . please help me bash-3.00$ cat a.sh #!/bin/sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prejib
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing plist file ?

Hi, I wondered if it was possible to parse a plist file like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14586156/stuff/Bookmarks.plist so it will afterwards look like this <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
0 Replies
PLUTIL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PLUTIL(1)

NAME
plutil -- property list utility SYNOPSIS
plutil [command_option] [other_options] file ... DESCRIPTION
plutil can be used to check the syntax of property list files, or convert a plist file from one format to another. Specifying - as an input file reads from stdin. The first argument indicates the operation to perform, one of: -help Show the usage information for the command and exit. -p Print the property list in a human-readable fashion. The output format is not stable and not designed for machine parsing. The purpose of this command is to be able to easily read the contents of a plist file, no matter what format it is in. -lint Check the named property list files for syntax errors. This is the default command option if none is specified. -convert fmt Convert the named file to the indicated format and write back to the file system. If the file can't be loaded due to invalid syntax, the operation fails. fmt is one of: xml1, for version 1 of the XML plist format binary1, for version 1 of the binary plist format json, for the JSON format There are a few additional options: -- Specifies that all further arguments are file names -s Don't print anything on success. -r For JSON, add whitespace and indentation to make the output more human-readable. -o path Specify an alternate path name for the result of the -convert operation; this option is only useful with a single file to be converted. Specifying - as the path outputs to stdout. -e extension Specify an alternate extension for converted files, and the output file names are otherwise the same. DIAGNOSTICS
The plutil command exits 0 on success, and 1 on failure. SEE ALSO
plist(5) STANDARDS
The plutil command obeys no one's rules but its own. HISTORY
The plutil command first appeared in Mac OS X 10.2. Mac OS X August 30, 2002 Mac OS X