Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Serializing script Failing for more commands Post 302408492 by jlliagre on Monday 29th of March 2010 04:10:49 PM
Old 03-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamatam
That command works with ksh - I am hoping it will work on Solaris also.

$ cp /etc/passwd testfile
$ grep -E abcd testfile | cat > testfile
$ cat testfile
abcd:x:100:100:ABCD,,,:/home/abcd:/bin/bash
This command works "by accident". Its behavior is undefined. testfile might be cleared before being read depending on unpredictable factors.
Quote:
I am surprised that there is no easy way of doing this on Unix.
What makes you believe there is not ? Unix bundles a job scheduler and "at -q xx" with xx as a custom queue with simultaneous jobs forbidden looks suited for this task although I didn't really tested that approach.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX script failing ....

Hi folks, I have written down a UNIX script which actually FTP the file to other server. What is happening now , this script is not working only for 1 server , as it is working for 32 different FTP server . In this particular server , we are getting message “FTp:550 access denied”... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khan1978
1 Replies

2. Programming

serializing logging output mult. proc. inst deamon

Hello, i have an interresting topic today C++ on solaris. lgpl stuff applicable. My program is a deamon process wich takes input from network, then processes the data, and outputs reformatted to network. We're generating a lot of logging output. the logging is absolutely unbuffered at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heck
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

failing a unix script

i am basically DWH professional. I want to write a script such that whenver the file size is greather than 0 the script fails plz help me in this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands failing inside the shell script

When my script deals with large input files like 22Gb or 18 GB the basic commands like sort or join fails when run from inside the shell scripts. Can there be any specific reason for this? For e.g. sort -u -t "," -k1,1 a.csv > a.csv.uniq" sort -u -t "," -k1,1 b.csv > b.csv.uniq" The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script failing on Solaris 10 and working on 8

I have a script and code is like this .. if ]; then it's compiling about @ . what's the wrong in Solaris 10 with this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help needed- script failing if router unavailable

Hey all. Sometimes I'm tasked to change some router configs for the entire network (over 3,000 Cisco routers). Most of the time its a global config parameter so its done with a loop and an IP list as its the same configuration change for all routers. This is working OK. However, sometimes an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkz1974
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script running for one iteration and failing the second one

Hi, I am using Tclexpect to automation testing on switches and using regexp and the buffer outputs the program is running well for one iteration and failing the second one... can anyone please guide me what is the mistake i am making? Thanks Here is the small version of the program, while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roh_20022002
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCP Failing - In Script

I create a file that may contain several full path name files on a remote Linux that are to be copied. This file, called AWKOUTPUT is created from another script. It contains: X/picture1.png The script is very simple ------------------------------------------- REMOTEDIR="/var/CC/Stuff"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohrsville12
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script test failing

Testing some old script developed by different user. #!/usr/bin/sh case "$0" in */*) cmd="$0";; *) cmd=`which "$0"`;; esac dir=`dirname "$cmd"` node="$dir/." echo $node below two simple tests are failing, I am not seeing any Control+M characters in the script file and I am not able... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimitta
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab script failing

Hello, A crontab script is failiing everyday but when we execute manually it runs fine Below is the script scheduled: 00 23 * * * sh /db2backup/scripts/db2_hot_backup.ksh TRAVFF > /dev/null 2>&1 Error: cat TRAVFF_online_04022014_2300.log Started : Wed Apr 2 23:00:00 EDT 2014... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies
gedit(1)							   User Commands							  gedit(1)

NAME
gnome-text-editor, gedit - Limited functionality text editor for the GNOME desktop. SYNOPSIS
gnome-text-editor [--debug [-section]] [gnome-std-options] [--help] [--new-document] [--new-window] [--quit] [filename] gedit [--debug [-section]] [gnome-std-options] [--help] [--new-document] [--new-window] [--quit] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-text-editor application is a text editor for the GNOME desktop. The application is also called gedit. You can use gedit as a shorter command to start the application. The application enables you to edit multiple documents at the same time. Each document resides in a specific tabbed section of the application window. When you start the application from the command line, you can specify one or more filenames. When gedit starts, the application opens all files that you list on the command line. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --debug [-section] Run gedit in debug mode. In debug mode all the functions that are being called dump the function names to the con- sole. You can specify the following sections for debugging: o window o commands o document o file o plugins o prefs o print o search o undo o view o recent Run gedit --help for more information. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. --help Print the command line options. --new-document Create a new top-level document or tabbed section in an existing instance of gedit. --new-window Create a new top-level window in an existing instance of gedit. --quit Quit an existing instance of gedit. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
The gedit application accepts pipes, so you can specify a pipe after another command, to load the output of the command into gedit. For example: example% ls -l | gedit EXAMPLES
Example 1: To Edit an ASCII File Named document.txt example% gedit document.txt Example 2: To Add a New Tab That Contains an ASCII File Named book.txt example% gedit --new-document book.txt Example 3: To Add a New Top-Level Window That Contains an ASCII File Named testfile.txt example% gedit --new-window testfile.txt EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully. >0 An error occurred. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-text-editor The executable file for the gnome-text-editor application. /usr/bin/gedit A symbolic link to the gnome-text-editor executable file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-text-editor | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), libgtksourceview-1.0(3) Online Help gedit manual. NOTES
This man page was written by the following people: Paolo Maggi, Chema Celorio, James Willcox, Federico Mena Quintero. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004. SunOS 5.10 31 Aug 2004 gedit(1)