Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Handling Multiple terminals
Top Forums Programming Handling Multiple terminals Post 302408416 by Corona688 on Monday 29th of March 2010 12:27:54 PM
Old 03-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgre0018
do you think it's possible to have a process write the WINDOW to a file which multiple processes read from simultaneously?
curses won't treat a file like a terminal and won't be fooled. Besides, whose to say all your clients will be using the same terminal? You need to let your clients do their own drawing.
Quote:
I had tried to do this using shared memory by having the window kept in shared memory but each time I accessed the window from the child process I kept getting a segmentation fault.
This is because, as stated twice previously, curses does not work that way. A WINDOW structure created in one process won't be valid in another. In fact any pointers and things containing pointers won't be valid when shared. Pointers point to memory local to its process, if they even point to any valid memory in a different process it will be a complete coincidence.

I think you're going to have to give up on sharing terminals with other processes and share data with them instead. Tell them what to draw but let them do their own drawing. (or just redraw everything every frame, and make it more efficient later.) You could keep an 80x25 character array in shared mem, and communicate to your clients what sections they need to redraw, or perhaps just when. I do think you'll need synchronization to accomplish this well.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple Terminals

Dear Members, I have aquired a load of old Wyse dumb terminals. I have a Linux system set up that I want to be the host for all of these. Now, I know these don't use cat5 or standard networking. They are all done through serial (com) ports. However, I researched this more and found a converter... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple file handling

Dear All, I have two files, which looks like: File 1 124 235 152 178 156 142 178 163 159 File 2 124|5623 452|6698 178|9995 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling multiple terminals

I'd like to write a script that will call n number of terminals that will all ssh to X-server and automatically enter the same password. Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what kind of commands would work for me here because when I call for gnome-terminal, a new terminal pops up and the old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gelitini
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running Multiple terminals/shells

Hi, I'm looking for a way to send commands through multiple shells/terminals (not sure which is proper syntax). Basically, I have to open 3 different shells/terminals and run separate parts of a program suite in each of them. I find this annoying. The commands I have to do are simple, and could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Caradoc
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to open multiple virtual terminals to a single LPAR

I just wondering if there are ways to open multiple virtual terminal to a single LPAR. After I have use putty to login to the VIOS. I will use mkvt -id <LPAR id> to open console but if my friend want to open 2 second one, it will say, VT already connected. IS there a way to work this around ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingcross
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Handling multiple argument in shell script

Hi i have written a shell script that takes only single ip address from the user and calculates its latency and reliability, can you please tell me that what should be done if i want that user should enter 100 or 1000 ip address (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti_17
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ISSUE in handling multiple same name files :-(

Dear all, My work is completely stuck cos of the following issue. Please find it here and kindly help me. Task is following: I have set of files with such pattern 1t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 119 Jun 11 10:45 vgtree_5_1_pfs.root 3t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 145 Jun 11 10:46 vgtree_5_3_pfs.root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate an application using scripting, managing multiple terminals

Hi I am new to Ubuntu and Bash scripting. I am working on a project to give a demo on an SDN application to my class. I need some help in scripting to create the demo. Please help in case if you have any idea on what am asking. The demo uses a tool called mininet. I need just one script so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anzal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getopts for handling multiple options

Hi Guys, I have created a script for our automated DB creation, it works fine with default option(-d). $ ./test_db.ksh -d abc 11 dev -d is Default option ORACLE_SID=abc ORACLE_VERSION=11 ENV_TYPE=dev For creating a customized DB, i thought of giving the user different options.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
8 Replies
shmop(2)							System Calls Manual							  shmop(2)

NAME
shmat(), shmdt() - shared memory operations SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
attaches the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier specified by shmid to the data segment of the calling process. The segment is attached for reading if (shmflg is "true"; otherwise, it is attached for reading and writing. It is not possible to attach a segment for write only. If the shared memory segment has never been attached to by any process prior to the current call, shmaddr must be specified as zero and the segment is attached at a location selected by the operating system. That location is identical in all processes accessing that shared mem- ory object. Once the operating system selects a location for a shared memory segment, the same location will be used across any subsequent and calls on the segment until it is removed by the operation of See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If this is not the first call on the shared memory segment throughout the system, shmaddr must either be zero or contain a nonzero address that is identical to the one returned from previous calls for that segment. Even if no processes are currently attached to the segment, as long as the segment has been attached before, the same rule applies. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If the calling process is already attached to the shared memory segment, fails and returns regardless of what value is passed in shmaddr. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. detaches from the calling process's data segment the shared memory segment located at the address specified by shmaddr. Exceptions for MPAS Processes On Itanium(R)-based platforms, MPAS (Mostly Private Address Space) processes are not restricted to passing in zero or a fixed value to calls to MPAS processes may pass in other addresses. The call may fail or succeed due to implementation dependent reasons. MGAS processes have all the restrictions outlined above. In addition, an MGAS process may not assume that it can attach at the address that an MPAS process can use to attach to the same segment. An MPAS process may be able to attach to the same shared memory segment multiple times. Success or failure of such an operation is imple- mentation dependent. Failure will be indicated by a return value of An MPAS process should specify or flags in the call to These follow the same rules as such flags passed to shmget(2). See the for details. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. n is the data segment start address of the attached shared memory segment. Failure. The shared memory segment is not attached. is set to indicate the error. The symbol is defined in the header No successful return from will return the value returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EACCES] Operation permission is denied to the calling process. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier, (possibly because the shared memory segment was already removed using shmctl(2) with or the calling process is already attached to shmid. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not zero and the machine does not permit nonzero values, or shmaddr is not equal to the current attach location for the shared memory segment. [ENOMEM] The available data space is not large enough to accommodate the shared memory segment. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments attached to the calling process exceed the system-imposed limit. If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the data segment start address of a shared memory segment. EXAMPLES
The following call to attaches the shared memory segment to the process. This example assumes the process has a valid shmid, which can be obtained by calling shmget(2). The following call to then detaches the shared memory segment. SEE ALSO
ipcs(1), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), ftok(3C), shmctl(2), shmget(2), privileges(5). in STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
shmop(2)