Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Parse parameters with getopts Post 302408300 by frees on Monday 29th of March 2010 06:31:27 AM
Old 03-29-2010
Parse parameters with getopts

Hi, this is my problem

I have script with two parameters -n name and -s surname. Both have arguments and I want to know how parse these parameters with getopts. When you write

./names -n John -s White
it find you all persons, which name is John White, but when you write

./names -n John
it will find you all Johns in database. Similar when you write

./names -s White
it will find all person who have White in their surname.

What is more ./names -n John -s White must be equal to ./names -s White -n John

Is it possible?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts takes options for parameters

Here is my post with a question about getopts. I am running korn shell on Solaris 5.8. I am trying to ensure that certain options require a parameter, which is easy enough. I have found that if multiple options are entered on the command line together, but the parameter for one of the options is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UCD-Randy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts help

Hi i have part of the scripts below ,getopt for -h or ? not working for me. can anybody tell me if this sytax right or wrong. #!/usr/bin/ksh program=$(basename $0) ##################################################################################### function usageerr { RC=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse long input parameters

anybody know a nice way to parse long input parameters such as --path /dir1/dir2/ (see below). Now I have more than 10 input parameters and it's confusing having parameters like -q something, I would prefer longer ones case $OPTKEY in --path) M_PATH=$OPTARG ;; -s) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using getopts

Hi, I have a program where I want to use getopts. I want to use "-i" option and then optionally supply arguments. If user dosent supply arguments, then also it should work. Please tell me how to proceed. Here is some code, this is not right code btw but a sample to understand what I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

5. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse HTML tag parameters and text

Hi! I have a bunch of HTML files, which I want to parse to CSV files. Every page has a table in it, and I need to parse each row into a csv record. With awk and sed, I managed to put every table row in separate lines. So my file looks like this: <TR> .... </TR> <TR> .... </TR> ...One... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senszey
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using getopts to parse a command line

i have the following scenario want to run the following script with manadory and optional argumnets Manadory options are : filename="" port="" optional arguments type -t balances -b bal prices -p ./test filename port -t A -b bal my code i have that won't parse the options is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nano2
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] I need to parse an username in parameters

Hi! Thank you ina advance for your Help. Sorry my english, Im from Argentina! Great Place!!! So, here si my problem I have a variable, lets say PARAMETERS that could be set like this: PARAMETROS="-Usistemas string1 -Astring2 -G -Y -Kcoco -Y string4 -Z" or PARAMETROS="string1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hercraft
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order of getopts parameters

Hi, Does the order of argument and non-argument command line parameters matter to getopts? with a getopts line in my script of getopts p:cs opt a command line of <script> -p 5 -s only picks up the -p option, while <script> -s -p 5 picks up both. Removing the space between the p and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rojomoke
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts with optional parameters

Hi Unix Gurus, i am on learning path of unix, and yet to discover many things. I came across with this requirement where i need to pass parameters but the position of parameters is not fixed so after doing some google search got to know "getopts" can handle that. So here is my code: function... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
3 Replies
GETOPTS(3)						  libbash getopts Library Manual						GETOPTS(3)

NAME
getopts -- libbash library for command line parameters parsing SYNOPSIS
$retval getopt_long <Instructions> <Parameters> DESCRIPTION
This is a documentation for libbash getopts library, that implements getopt_long function for bash(1). For documentation of bash getopts function, please see getopts(1) ( getopts(1posix) on some systems). Here is a table for reference: getopts(1) (or 1posix on some systems) implemented by bash getopts(3) implemented by libbash. getopt(1) implemented by getopt utils (part of util-linux) getopt_long(1) implemented by libbash and installed to section 1 instead of 3 to prevent collision with C man pages. getopt(3) implemented by GNU C library. getopt_long(3) implemented by GNU C library. I have also seen separate getopt utility which part of util-linux package. The getopt_long function parses the command line arguments. It uses Instructions as the rules for parsing the Parameters. The Instructions A string that specifies rules for parameters parsing. The instructions string is built of a group of independent instructions, separated by a white space. Each instruction must have the following structure: -<SingleLetter>|--<MultiLetter>-><VariableName>[:] This structure contains three parts: -<SingleLetter> This is the parameter single-letter sign. For example -h. --<MultiLetter> This is the parameter's corresponding multi-letter sign. For example --help. <VariableName>[:] This is the name of the variable that will contain the parameter value. For example: HELP. The Variable name can represent one of two variables types: Flag variable (not followed by ':') In this case, it will hold the value 1 if 'on' (i.e. was specified on command line) and will not be defined if 'off'. Value variable (followed by ':') In this case, the value it will hold is the string that was given as the next parameter in the Parameters string (Separated by white-space or '=' ). If input contains more then one instance of the considered command line option, an array of the given parameters will be set as the value of the variable. The Parameters The Parameters are simply the parameters you wish to parse. RETURN VALUE
This function returns a string that contains a set of variables definitions. In order to define the variables, this string should be given as a parameter to eval function. This value is returned in the variable $retval. EXAMPLES
Parse command line parameters looking for the flags -h | --help and -v | --version and for the value -p | --path : getopt_long '-h|--help->HELP -v|--version->VERSION -p|--path->PATH:' $* eval $retval In this example, for the parameters --help --path=/usr/ the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=/usr/ for the parameters --help --path=/usr --path=/bin the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=(/usr /bin) BUGS
Values must not contain the string `__getopts__'. This string will be parsed as a single white-space. A value should not start with an already defined multi-letter sign. If such a value exists, it will be treated as the equivalent singe-letter sign. This bug only accures when using a single-letter sign, or a multi-letter sign that are not followed by a `='. For example: If we have a script named `foo', and we parse the parameters `-d|--dir:' and `-f|--file:', then foo -d --file and foo --dir --file will not work foo --dir=--file will work. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), getopt_long(1), getopts(1), getopt(1), libbash(1), getopt(3), getopt_long(3) Linux Epoch Linux