Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Compile Leanest Slackware Kernel Post 302408103 by tallship on Sunday 28th of March 2010 05:08:56 AM
Old 03-28-2010
MySQL Pretty lean already...

If you're going to do this, you might as well begin with updating to the latest kernel and see how that fits for you, then work it down little by little, keeping a couple of previous revisions and taking care to keep track of what you do in lilo.

Slackware has a pretty mean out of the box kernel anyway, it's not really polished up the way some/most distros do it, so you may be surprised that such a responsive kernel doesn't yield much in the way of results.

I'm interested in knowing what you tear out and keep so if you are inclined to track your progress here I'd enjoy monitoring your progress/benchmarks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compile a new kernel in RHEL 5

Hi all, I need some help in compiling a new kernel. I am using RHEL 5 with kernel version 2.6.18. I have downloaded a kernel from link http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.6.tar.bz2 1. cd /usr/src 2. wget -c http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas027
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compile linux kernel on redhat

Hello, Please let me know how to compile a linux kernel on redhat. I am relatively new in this area so please be a little patient with me. Here is the file I was consulting with the following details: Compiling the Linux Kernel on Redhat 7.1 This page describes how to install... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhattbonny
2 Replies

3. Linux

Compile new kernel in Fedora 5

Hi All, I try to compile new kernel in FC5. New kernel version - 2.6.20.21 Operating System - Fedora 5 I have followed these steps, make menuconfig make make modules make modules_install make install Then i have changed the grub.cong and reboot the system with new kernel. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: viveksnv
0 Replies

4. Debian

compile kernel with OFED

Hello Friends, I know how to compile the kernel . But I don't know how to compile the kernel with OFED. Can any one assist me on that. Or can anyone send me the link. Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

5. Linux

kernel compile

Dear experts, How can compile the kernel as application mode? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compile most recent kernel on older distro ?

Debian lenny uses the 2.6.26 kernel by default. Can I compile the most recent kernel from kernel.org and use it instead ? Will the new kernel be incompatible with other installed softwares ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyler
1 Replies

7. Linux

Howto compile my own module into the kernel

Hi there, I'm currently writing a program/module which makes use of the Linux Security Modules (LSM), which provide hooks for some security . The bad thing about it is: The function to set the hook to the LSM is not exported. That means, I can't just write a loadable kernel module, but have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Kernel compile error

Hi I'm compiling a real-time kernel in linux, but after I type make bzImage things end with this: (Things going well doing CC and things).... CC arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.o CC arch/x86/kernel/vm86_32.o CC arch/x86/kernel/early_printk.o CC arch/x86/kernel/ipipe.o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i get UNIX kernel and compile it like Linux ?

I am not a newbie to Linux, i have been using Linux as my desktop for 4 years, but i am just an end user to Linux, no advanced knowledge to it. I knew that, i can download generic linux kernel and compile it by myself, but how about Unix? how can i get an Unix kernel and compile it ? or no this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wong.sie.ung
5 Replies

10. Slackware

Help with kernel panic - not syncing slackware 13.0

Hi, first of all I'm 110% newbie, sorry for any mistake if I made it. In my country there are no normal or active linux forums, so i found this forum. Ok, that's for begining, but not for may real problem. --------------------------------------------------- I am system administrator... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElvijsL
4 Replies
X2SYS_PUT(1gmt) 					       Generic Mapping Tools						   X2SYS_PUT(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_put - Update x2sys track data bases SYNOPSIS
x2sys_put [ info.tbf ] -TTAG [ -D ] [ -F ] [ -V ] DESCRIPTION
x2sys_put accepts a track bin-index file created by x2sys_binlist and adds this information about the data tracks to the relevant data base. You may chose to overwrite existing data with new information for older tracks (-F) and even completely remove information for cer- tain tracks (-D). The x2sys TAG must match the tag encoded in the info.tbf file. To inquire about tracks in the data base, use x2sys_get. -T Specify the x2sys TAG which tracks the attributes of this data type. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. info.tbf Name of a single track bin file. If not given, stdin will be read. -D Delete all tracks found in the track bin file [Default will try to add them as new track entries]. -F Replace any existing database information for these tracks with the new information in the track bin file [Default refuses to process tracks already in the database]. -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. EXAMPLES
To add the information stored in the track bin-index file latest.tbf to the track data bases associated with the tag MGD77, and replace any exiting information for these tracks, try x2sys_put latest.tbf -F -V -TMGD77 X2SYS DATABASES The x2sys_put utility adds new information to the x2sys data bases. These consists of two files: The first file contains a listing of all the tracks that have been added to the system; it is named TAG_tracks.d and is in ASCII format. The second file is named TAG_index.b and is in native binary format. It contains information on which tracks cross each of the bins, and what data sets were observed while cross- ing the bin. The bins are defined by the -R and -I options passed to x2sys_init when the TAG was first initiated. Both data base files are stored in the $X2SYS_HOME/TAG directory. Do not attempt to edit these files by hand. SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_get(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_PUT(1gmt)