Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for a string in a log file with little movement Post 302408028 by EAGL€ on Saturday 27th of March 2010 06:30:29 PM
Old 03-27-2010
Hi moxy,

i'm not sure if its what exactly you want but try it, then tell us if it works or not, i couldnt test my code:

Code:
occ=`grep -c "string" logfile`

num_of_occ=`awk -v pattern="string" -v last="$occ" 
'$0~pattern{i++} i==last{print NR;exit}' logfile`

sleep 900

occ_=`grep -c "string" logfile`

num_of_last_occ=`awk -v pattern="string" -v lastocc="$occ_2" 
'$0~pattern{i++} i==lastocc{print NR;exit}' logfile`

if [ $num_of_occ -lt $num_of_last_occ ]; then mailx -s "WARNING!" admin@123.com

Actually only "grep -c" could be enough too Smilie

Code:
occ=`grep -c "string" logfile`

sleep 900

occ_=`grep -c "string" logfile`

if [ occ -lt occ_ ]; then mailx -s "WARNING!" admin@123.com

Last edited by EAGL€; 03-27-2010 at 07:43 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string though file system

Is there a way to search an entire file system for the occurance of a string..... other than grep. I have a large directory structure and I'm not certain that grep <string> */*/*/*... is all that effective - especially as I can't be sure of the number of levels to go down without heaps of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complicated string searching in a file

Hi folks, Following a part of opmn.xml file: <process-type id="OC4J_RiGHTv_PLATOR81" module-id="OC4J"> <environment> <variable id="LD_LIBRARY_PATH" value="/home/ias/v10.1.2/lib" append="true"/> <variable id="SHLIB_PATH"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string in a file

I need to search for a specific string in a file and if this string exist I need to replace it with something else. I am not sure how I could do this, using an if statement. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a file

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting. I have a requirement. Could anyone help me writing the script for the same? Here goes the requirement: I have a config file let's say temp.config. Here is the data in the config file temp.config : ------------- name=victor age=42 state=texas... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching each file for a string

Hi Guys... I want to search for each file that contains a particular string. e.g find . -print | xargs grep -i string_name Now my issue is the files that I search in are gzipped. Will I be able to find the string, using the above commands, even if the files are gzipped? Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a file using perl

Hi I would like to read a file using perl and search for a string (last entry). Then read that into an array and do further grep File content for ex: comp=a,value=30,runtime=12,type=lic comp=d,value=15,runtime=2,type=lic comp=a,value=90,runtime=43,type=lic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string stored in other file

I need to design a script which can do the following: I have two files abc.txt and constant.hmtl abc.txt contains some 5 string that I need to see if they exist in contants.html. Constants.hmtl is a very large file around 800 lines. I want to search all the strings present in file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemasid
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a particular file name

Hello, I have a file name like FIRST_DPF_DAILY_CUST_0826152322.txt i need to extract the string after the third "_" underscore upto timestamp ends i.e CUST_0826152322 can anyone help me with the code Thank you! Regards Srikanth Sagi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
3 Replies
PERIODIC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       PERIODIC(8)

NAME
periodic -- run periodic system functions SYNOPSIS
periodic directory ... DESCRIPTION
The periodic utility is intended to be called by cron(8) to execute shell scripts located in the specified directory. One or more of the following arguments must be specified: daily Perform the standard daily periodic executable run. This usually occurs early in the morning (local time). weekly Perform the standard weekly periodic executable run. This usually occurs very early on Saturday mornings. monthly Perform the standard monthly periodic executable run. This usually occurs on the first day of the month. security Perform the standard daily security checks. This is usually spawned by the daily run. path An arbitrary directory containing a set of executables to be run. If an argument is an absolute directory name it is used as is, otherwise it is searched for under /etc/periodic and any other directories specified by the local_periodic setting in periodic.conf(5) (see below). The periodic utility will run each executable file in the directory or directories specified. If a file does not have the executable bit set, it is silently ignored. Each script is required to exit with one of the following values: 0 The script has produced nothing notable in its output. The <basedir>_show_success variable controls the masking of this output. 1 The script has produced some notable information in its output. The <basedir>_show_info variable controls the masking of this output. 2 The script has produced some warnings due to invalid configuration settings. The <basedir>_show_badconfig variable controls the mask- ing of this output. >2 The script has produced output that must not be masked. If the relevant variable (where <basedir> is the base directory in which the script resides) is set to ``NO'' in periodic.conf, periodic will mask the script output. If the variable is not set to either ``YES'' or ``NO'', it will be given a default value as described in periodic.conf(5). All remaining script output is delivered based on the value of the <basedir>_output setting. If this is set to a path name (beginning with a '/' character), output is simply logged to that file. newsyslog(8) knows about the files /var/log/daily.log, /var/log/weekly.log and /var/log/monthly.log, and if they exist, it will rotate them at the appropriate times. These are therefore good values if you wish to log periodic output. If the <basedir>_output value does not begin with a '/' and is not empty, it is assumed to contain a list of email addresses, and the output is mailed to them. If <basedir>_show_empty_output is set to ``NO'', then no mail will be sent if the output was empty. If <basedir>_output is not set or is empty, output is sent to standard output. ENVIRONMENT
The periodic utility sets the PATH environment to include all standard system directories, but no additional directories, such as /usr/local/bin. If executables are added which depend upon other path components, each executable must be responsible for configuring its own appropriate environment. FILES
/etc/crontab the periodic utility is typically called via entries in the system default cron(8) table /etc/periodic the top level directory containing daily, weekly, and monthly subdirectories which contain standard system peri- odic executables /etc/defaults/periodic.conf the periodic.conf system registry contains variables that control the behaviour of periodic and the standard daily, weekly, and monthly scripts /etc/periodic.conf this file contains local overrides for the default periodic configuration EXIT STATUS
Exit status is 0 on success and 1 if the command fails. EXAMPLES
The system crontab should have entries for periodic similar to the following example: # do daily/weekly/monthly maintenance 0 2 * * * root periodic daily 0 3 * * 6 root periodic weekly 0 5 1 * * root periodic monthly The /etc/defaults/periodic.conf system registry will typically have a local_periodic variable reading: local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic" To log periodic output instead of receiving it as email, add the following lines to /etc/periodic.conf: daily_output=/var/log/daily.log weekly_output=/var/log/weekly.log monthly_output=/var/log/monthly.log To only see important information from daily periodic jobs, add the following lines to /etc/periodic.conf: daily_show_success=NO daily_show_info=NO daily_show_badconfig=NO DIAGNOSTICS
The command may fail for one of the following reasons: usage: periodic <directory of files to execute> No directory path argument was passed to periodic to specify where the script fragments reside. <directory> not found Self explanatory. SEE ALSO
sh(1), crontab(5), periodic.conf(5), cron(8), newsyslog(8) HISTORY
The periodic utility first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
Paul Traina <pst@FreeBSD.org> Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> BUGS
Since one specifies information about a directory using shell variables containing the string, <basedir>, <basedir> must only contain charac- ters that are valid within a sh(1) variable name, alphanumerics and underscores, and the first character may not be numeric. BSD
August 30, 2007 BSD