Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to download modules from Strawberry perl. Post 302407879 by parimal14 on Friday 26th of March 2010 06:28:24 PM
Old 03-26-2010
Unable to download modules from Strawberry perl.

Hi,

I am using Strawberry Perl on WinXP but i am unable to download modules from Cpan via cmd,everytime a connection timeout error pops up.

I get the following error :
Code:
C:\>cpan Tk
CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.834)
CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9719)
Fetching with LWP:
http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
LWP failed with code[500] message[Can't connect to cpan.strawberryperl.com:80 (c
onnect: timeout)]
Warning: no success downloading 'C:\strawberry\cpan\sources\authors\01mailrc.txt
.gz.tmp3492'. Giving up on it.
Warning: no success downloading 'C:\strawberry\cpan\sources\authors\01mailrc.txt
.gz.tmp3492'. Giving up on it.
As a last resort we now switch to the external ftp command 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\
ftp.EXE'
to get 'C:\strawberry\cpan\sources\authors\01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp3492'.
Doing so often leads to problems that are hard to diagnose.
If you're the victim of such problems, please consider unsetting the
ftp config variable with
    o conf ftp ""
    o conf commit
Fetching with LWP:
http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz

and again a time outSmilie
=================================

The modules are availiable at CPAN but from cmd after entering cpan module name a connection is being made to http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz Smilie not sure why.

Thanks all in advance,please let me know where i am going wrong.

Last edited by pludi; 03-27-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing perl modules

I resulted to using /usr/sfw/bin/gmake to install my perl modules until i ran into a problem installing perl/Tk Tk-804.028 gmake: Entering directory `/export/home/Tk-804.028/pod' Sorry no HTML building yet gmake: Leaving directory `/export/home/Tk-804.028/pod' I dont unstand what the error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameskay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to install perl modules

Hi. i installed perl 5.8.8.822 in my D: drive(windows xp).When im trying to install IO-Stringy.pm module( or any module for tat matter ) it is getting installed in 'c:\temp\please run installed script' folder no matter from where ever i run the ppm installation.The path variable is set to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anuj8584
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Install modules on strawberry perl

Hi, I'm using strawberry perl on windows 7 rc, and for the past few days I haven't manage to install any modules. I understand that I have to download the module from cpan, which I do, afterwards I have to open cmd, change directory to where I have extracted the module, and type: perl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte1918
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

installing perl modules

Hi All, I have a customer asking me to install these perl modules on redhat 4 ent: File::Temp Getopt::Long DBD::mysql Mail::Mailer DBD::DB2 Any idea how can I install those modules. Thanks for any comment you may add. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to install perl XML and EXCEL modules in windows XP.

Hi, I am using perl 5.12. I want to install XML modules and Excel modules which is from perl in windows. I am using ppm to install these perl modules. My proxy is this: mtd.ixs.ibab.com/proxy.pac (with http in the beginning) I used this to set but i unable to download any pakage, Using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Strawberry perl - New TK module installation error

Hi, I am struggling in installing TK module for strawberry perl. I downloaded TK804 module, extracted to a folder, kept in c:/strawberry/perl/lib path, then from tht path 1) perl makefile.pl 2)dmake 3)dmake test 4)dmake install During perl makefile.pl it is giving error as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create custom modules in perl and how to import all modules with single command?

I have some custom functions which i want to use in perl Scripting all time. i want to How to create modules in perl and how to import them. Also if i create 15 modules and i want to > import all at once then how can i import? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl modules installation

I have installed perl in windows. Now I would like to install spreadsheet::xlsx & DateTime::Format::Excel modules(also few more) at a time instead of installing them seperately. Could you please let me know how to install more than 1 module as a batch file in windows OS ? Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI : unable to download the excel sheet from perl cgi page

Hi All, I have written an cgi perl script that displays an image(Excel image) and when clicked on that Image I need to download a excel sheet. I made sure that excel sheet exists in the folder with the given name but still I am not able to download the sheet. print "<center><table... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem to download cmake extra modules v 1.7

Hello. I am currently trying to compile kde-baseapps. I issue this command: which returns So I need this ECM stuff. I found this: extra-cmake-modules.git - Extra modules and scripts for CMake.. When I click in the corresponding link in the column, I receive this: This also happens... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: colt
2 Replies
LWP-DOWNLOAD(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)

NAME
lwp-download - Fetch large files from the web SYNOPSIS
lwp-download [-a] [-s] <url> [<local path>] DESCRIPTION
The lwp-download program will save the file at url to a local file. If local path is not specified, then the current directory is assumed. If local path is a directory, then the last segment of the path of the url is appended to form a local filename. If the url path ends with slash the name "index" is used. With the -s option pick up the last segment of the filename from server provided sources like the Content- Disposition header or any redirect URLs. A file extension to match the server reported Content-Type might also be appended. If a file with the produced filename already exists, then lwp-download will prompt before it overwrites and will fail if its standard input is not a terminal. This form of invocation will also fail is no acceptable filename can be derived from the sources mentioned above. If local path is not a directory, then it is simply used as the path to save into. If the file already exists it's overwritten. The lwp-download program is implemented using the libwww-perl library. It is better suited to down load big files than the lwp-request program because it does not store the file in memory. Another benefit is that it will keep you updated about its progress and that you don't have much options to worry about. Use the "-a" option to save the file in text (ascii) mode. Might make a difference on dosish systems. EXAMPLE
Fetch the newest and greatest perl version: $ lwp-download http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz Saving to 'latest.tar.gz'... 11.4 MB received in 8 seconds (1.43 MB/sec) AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.16.3 2012-01-14 LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)