Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to set block size for CPIO in HPUX Post 302407670 by vj8436 on Friday 26th of March 2010 04:58:14 AM
Old 03-26-2010
How to set block size for CPIO in HPUX

Hi,

One of our internal tool runs cpio command to archive certain files, but I receive an error as follows.

CPIO Failure (operation would block)

When i debugged, i assume that this an error due to block size..

My question are,

How to find the block size in HP-UX??

How to set the block size in CPIO command???

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validation: set field size to 6 digits

I'm curious, how would I set validation on a field size to make sure it only ever accepts a 6 digit number? I currently have validation for it to be an integer in place but can't find anywhere that says how to make it only a length of 6 digits. any tips on the function I should be focussing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nortypig
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set font size

can any one tell me how to set the font size in unix? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to set size in logrotate.conf

Hi,guys: recently,i am puzzled by a question .when i create a new file named by /etc/logrotate.d/debug. The cont. is listed as follow: /var/log/debug { rotate 3 missingok notifempty size=2k prerotate /bin/kill -HUP `cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: icehero
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How do I set the block size in ZFS?

I was able to create a zpool and then created a zfs filesystem (BTW, thanks to all those who helped me get by the hard drive formatting issues I had posted here earlier). I read that ZFS does variable block size, that is, a user can specify a blocksize, and if a file is smaller than the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sqa777
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Set the Serial Number in HPUX?

Hi, I have a refurbished HP C3750 workstation that my company recently bought. We have a need to be able to retrieve its serial number through software, and I found instructions at HP's Website on how to do this. Unfortunately, the machine does not return a serial number using any of the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: irinotecan
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the set of files size as a sum in a directory.

Hi, Can someone help me to get the complete files size (sum) over a perod time (1 day,2days)in a directory. eg: Directory :ABC I have a1,a2,a3 files are created in last 24 hours so I need to get the some of all these files. I am using the below find command but its giving me the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaddamja
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to list file size on HPUX?

I used to use ls -l cut to detrmine file size, and google searches didn't come up with anything else but 'stat' which doesn't appear on HPUX. I discovered the humble 'wc -c' which does this job very neatly, and thought I would share it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbochan
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies
rpm2cpio(1)							   User Commands						       rpm2cpio(1)

NAME
rpm2cpio - convert Red Hat Package (RPM) to cpio archive SYNOPSIS
rpm2cpio [file.rpm] DESCRIPTION
The rpm2cpio utility converts the .rpm file specified as its sole argument to a cpio archive on standard output. (See NOTES.) If no argu- ment is given, an rpm stream is read from standard input. In both cases, rpm2cpio will fail and print a usage message if the standard out- put is a terminal. Therefore, the output is usually redirected to a file or piped through the cpio(1) utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting an rpm file example% rpm2cpio Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks Example 2: Converting from standard input example% rpm2cpio < Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrpm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), attributes(5) NOTES
rpm2cpio handles versions 3 and 4 RPMs. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2001 rpm2cpio(1)