Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put the difference of two files in out file Post 302407542 by anbu23 on Thursday 25th of March 2010 05:05:33 PM
Old 03-25-2010
Sort the files before using comm command
Code:
$ comm -23 file1 file2
line2
line4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two .dat files and if there is any difference pulled into a separate file

Hi, compare two .dat files and difference will be moved into separate file.if anybody having code for this please send asap. using diff command, i don't know how to write shell programming. and my first file is like this including Header and trailer 10Ç20060323Ç01(Header) 01ÇIÇbabuÇ3000 01ÇIÇbaluÇ4000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple log files and create output file and put the result

OS : Linux 2.6.9-67 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 Looking for a script that reads the following log files that gets generated everynight between 2 - 5am Master_App_20090717.log Master_App1_20090717.log Master_App2_20090717.log Master_App3_20090717.log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file size difference in two files using awk

Hi, Could anyone help me to solve this problem? I have two files "f1" and "f2" having 2 fields in each, a) file size and b) file name. The data are almost same in both the files except for few and new additional lines. Now, I have to find out and print the output as, the difference in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine two files and put it in .csv file

Hi Freinds I have two .txt file gem1.txt and gem2.txt, Sample gem1.txt abstract (1.0.0) actionmailer (2.3.5, 2.2.2) actionpack (2.3.5, 2.2.2) activerecord (2.3.5, 2.2.2) activerecord-oracle_enhanced-adapter (1.1.9) activerecord-sqlserver-adapter (2.3.4) activeresource (2.3.5, 2.2.2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit_view24
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing text in 2 files and output difference in another file.

I have 2 files of almost same text apart from 2,3 ending lines. Now I want to get that difference in another file. e.g file1.txt is Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/vg_livecd-lv_root 18G 2.4G 15G 14% / tmpfs 504M ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two CSV files and put the difference in third file with line no,field no and diff value.

I am having two csv files i need to compare these files and the output file should have the information of the differences at the field level. For Example, File 1: A,B,C,D,E,F 1,2,3,4,5,6 File 2: A,C,B,D,E,F 1,2,4,5,5,6 out put file: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karingulanagara
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files with numbers and taking difference in third file

Hi All, I have two files in the following format, with numbers being defined under columns(described by a set of headers) and rows(again defined by a set of identifiers) 2013 2013 Make200 Make201 Merc BMW Jpur Del ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 2 files, one with 1 column and 2nd file with multiple columns

Hi, I need to find the difference between 2 files in unix and write the result in the new file File1: A B File2: X 123 hajkd Y 345 adjfka A 123 djafjhd B 678 dsndjks Output file: X 123 hajkd Y 345 adjfka Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to find time difference between HTTP PUT and HTTP DELETE requests in access.log

Hi, I'm trying to write a script to determine the time gap between HTTP PUT and HTTP DELETE requests in the HTTP Servers access log. Normally client will do HTTP PUT to push content e.g. file_1.txt and 21 seconds later it will do HTTP DELETE, but sometimes the time varies causing some issues... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put a difference calculation in my awk script ?

Hello, For my CGI, I have this script : #!/bin/bash echo "Content-type: text/html" echo "" echo ' <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="test/html"; charset=UTF-8"> <title> CLF MONITORING </title> <h1> FRAME... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tim2424
4 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress column 1 (lines unique to FILE1) -2 suppress column 2 (lines unique to FILE2) -3 suppress column 3 (lines that appear in both files) --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by `LC_COLLATE'. EXAMPLES
comm -12 file1 file2 Print only lines present in both file1 and file2. comm -3 file1 file2 Print lines in file1 not in file2, and vice versa. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report comm bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report comm translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
join(1), uniq(1) The full documentation for comm is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and comm programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'comm invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 COMM(1)