Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: print "*" entire line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print "*" entire line Post 302407516 by apsprabhu on Thursday 25th of March 2010 03:59:18 PM
Old 03-25-2010
print "*" entire line

Hi folks,

I want to display the "*" character the entire line. Instead of manually giving "*" multiple times in echo/print command, i want some short cut.

i remember i have came across a straight forward method to display particular character (for example "*" ) for n number of times in unix. but now i forgot the exact source of information.

please help me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing entire line during "while read"

I am using the time-honored construct "while read field1 field2 field3 ; do" to pull delimited fields from lines of data in a file, but there are a few places within the loop where I need to manipulate the entire, unsplit line of data. Does "while read" keep each entire record/line somewhere prior... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to check "faulty" or "stalled" print queues - SAP systems?

Hi all, First off, sorry for a long post but I think I have no other option if I need to explain properly what I need help for. I need some advise on how best to check for "faulty" or "stalled/jammed' print queues. At the moment, I have three (3) application servers which also acts as print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use cut or awk to print line after "/bin"

Hello all, i am trying to use cut or awk to make my below lines to From $ ps -ef|grep tns|grep -v grep |grep LISTENER_TEST|awk '{print $9}' /oracle/ORAHOME/test/112/bin/tnslsnr to /oracle/ORAHOME/test/112 how can this be achieved ? so basically anything before "/bin" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure: if grep "$Var" "$line" inside while read line loop

Hi everybody, I am new at Unix/Bourne shell scripting and with my youngest experiences, I will not become very old with it :o My code: #!/bin/sh set -e set -u export IFS= optl="Optl" LOCSTORCLI="/opt/lsi/storcli/storcli" ($LOCSTORCLI /c0 /vall show | grep RAID | cut -d " "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subsonic66
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- cut out selected portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility cuts out selected portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file arguments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the last number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. If a field or column is specified multiple times, it will appear only once in the output. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated in the input by the field delimiter character (see the -d option.) Output fields are separated by a single occurrence of the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. Characters will only be output if at least one byte is selected, and, after a prefix of zero or more unselected bytes, the rest of the bytes that form the character are selected. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 SEE ALSO
colrm(1), paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BSD
December 21, 2006 BSD