Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to fetch PIDs from the fuser command output Post 302407438 by methyl on Thursday 25th of March 2010 11:41:49 AM
Old 03-25-2010
You can only use the "wait" command for a process which your current shell set off into background.
See "man wait" (even though "wait" is usually a shell builtin).

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# background script2 and wait
nohup script2 & ; MYPID=$!
wait ${MYPID} ; echo "Finished: ${MYPID}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

STDOUT redirect to a FILE, when fuser command is used !!

Hi all, I have the following script: ------------------------------------------------- #SCRIPT TO CHECK WHO HAS ACCESSED THE LOG/FILE IN PAST 'N' MINUTES, AND MAIL ACCORDINGLY. MYPATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="vg517@dcx.com" Subject="File accessed in last... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in fuser command

Hi all, I want to know if fuser command can be used to check if a file is being written or not??? Thanks In Advance Anju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anju
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline to fetch output

Input File: CPU minf mjf xcal intr ithr csw icsw migr smtx srw syscl usr sys wt idl 0 37 0 594 2205 1174 123 8 6 36 0 1954 6 8 0 86 1 1 0 49 26 0 44 3 2 6 0 624 2 1 0 97 2 0 0 5 5 0 8 1 0 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhallarandeep
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to fetch the output using AWK

Hi all, From the below file I need to fetch the data in the below output format. ToolInstanceID "diw_dm_sales" Identifier "Sales_source_load" Promt Default ParamType ParamLength ParamScale "Database_Name" "ORCL" "0" "0" "0" Identifier "retail_source_load" Promt Default... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetch last line no form file which is match with specific pattern by grep command

Hi i have a file which have a pattern like this Nov 10 session closed Nov 10 Nov 9 08:14:27 EST5EDT 2010 on tty . Nov 10 Oct 19 02:14:21 EST5EDT 2010 on pts/tk . Nov 10 afrtetryytr Nov 10 session closed Nov 10 Nov 10 03:21:04 EST5EDT 2010 Dec 8 Nov 10 05:03:02 EST5EDT 2010 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
13 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between fuser and lsof command

Hi, Can anyone explain me the difference between fsuer and lsof commands. As per my knowledge both the commands are used to find the processes used by the current file system or user. Apart from that what is the major difference between these commands (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fuser alternative OR running fuser on a script

Hi, Not sure whether there is a fuser alternative or any better way to check for file in use or not. I am wanting to check whether files are in use or not before removing them. Using fuser, the awk seems to be giving me 'weird' output not to mention that it is giving me 2 lines instead of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Fetch Command in UNIX

Hi there, What is the equivalent of fetch command in Ubuntu/Cygwin. My purpose is to modify the code in such a way that I can use fetch. #!/bin/sh #============================================================================ # $Id: ios-http-auth.sh,v 1.1 2001/06/29 00:59:44 root Exp root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies
wait(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh wait [pid...] /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh wait [pid...] wait [ % jobid...] /bin/csh wait DESCRIPTION
The shell itself executes wait, without creating a new process. If you get the error message cannot fork,too many processes, try using the wait command to clean up your background processes. If this doesn't help, the system process table is probably full or you have too many active foreground processes. There is a limit to the number of process IDs associated with your login, and to the number the system can keep track of. Not all the processes of a pipeline with three or more stages are children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. /bin/sh, /bin/jsh Wait for your background process whose process ID is pid and report its termination status. If pid is omitted, all your shell's currently active background processes are waited for and the return code will be 0. The wait utility accepts a job identifier, when Job Control is enabled (jsh), and the argument, jobid, is preceded by a percent sign (%). If pid is not an active process ID, the wait utility will return immediately and the return code will be 0. csh Wait for your background processes. ksh When an asynchronous list is started by the shell, the process ID of the last command in each element of the asynchronous list becomes known in the current shell execution environment. If the wait utility is invoked with no operands, it will wait until all process IDs known to the invoking shell have terminated and exit with an exit status of 0. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent known process IDs (or jobids), the wait utility will wait until all of them have terminated. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent unknown process IDs (or jobids), wait will treat them as if they were known process IDs (or jobids) that exited with exit status 127. The exit status returned by the wait utility will be the exit status of the process requested by the last pid or jobid operand. The known process IDs are applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: One of the following: pid The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, for which the utility is to wait for the termination. jobid A job control job ID that identifies a background process group to be waited for. The job control job ID notation is applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment, and only on systems supporting the job control option. USAGE
On most implementations, wait is a shell built-in. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, (wait) nohup wait ... find . -exec wait ... ; it will return immediately because there will be no known process IDs to wait for in those environments. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using A Script To Identify The Termination Signal Although the exact value used when a process is terminated by a signal is unspecified, if it is known that a signal terminated a process, a script can still reliably figure out which signal is using kill, as shown by the following (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 1000& pid=$! kill -kill $pid wait $pid echo $pid was terminated by a SIG$(kill -l $(($?-128))) signal. Example 2: Returning The Exit Status Of A Process If the following sequence of commands is run in less than 31 seconds (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 257 | sleep 31 & jobs -l %% then either of the following commands will return the exit status of the second sleep in the pipeline: wait <pid of sleep 31> wait %% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of wait: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), jobs(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 1997 wait(1)