Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding missing items in file Post 302407410 by discostu on Thursday 25th of March 2010 10:49:21 AM
Old 03-25-2010
thanks for quick reply. can I get awk to neglect the value portion of the string(everything after the =)? only focus on variable to the left of the "=" ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding which file is missing

I was hoping someone ould help me with the following. I have 2 files in a directory FILEA and FILEB. i am running a process on these 2 files but before the process can run both FILEA and FILEB need to be present. If one or both the files are missing i need to know what file(s) is(are)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAMZ
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing sequential file names

So, I've got a ton of files that I want to go through (ie something like 300,000), and they're all labeled sequentially. However I'm not 100% positive that they are all there. Is there any way of running through a sequence of numbers, checking if the file is in the folder, if not appending it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julolidine
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk between items including items

OS=HP-UX ksh The following works, except I want to include the <start> and <end> in the output. awk -F '<start>' 'BEGIN{RS="<end>"; OFS="\n"; ORS=""} {print $2} somefile.log' The following work in bash but not in ksh sed -n '/^<start>/,/^<end>/{/LABEL$/!p}' somefile.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing files that are named sequentially with Perl?

Hello I am new to Perl, in fact I am on chapter one of the book. :) However I am in need of a Perl Script faster than I can finish the book. Perhaps someone can help me with my immediate need while I read my book. I have a directory with hundreds of files that are all named like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newftronics
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing tags

I have a list containing strings. All strings should have either "smp" or "drw" else it is considered an error. I have written this code below. Any better ideas to tackle this? set fdrw = 0 set fsmp = 0 foreach f ($Lst) set fdrwtag = `echo $f | awk '/drw/'` set fsmptag = `echo $f | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. Programming

Finding items that occur more than once in a vector

I have some vectors to evaluate and develop a list of values that occur in more than one element. This is the simplest case. I have a vector, std::vector<int> vec1; vec1=5; vec1=5; I need to know that that 5 occurs twice in the vector. If I do a double loop, std::vector<int>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
13 Replies

7. AIX

Need help finding missing drivers

I'm in the process of migrating a system to some newer hardware (Power 5 to Power 7). I've done these migrations in the past, and have not had any problems. But this system does not see the new network controllers on the Power 7 system. The system was running AIX 5.3 before, I've upgraded it to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: acascianelli
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing records and Dups

I have a fixed width file. The records looks something similar to below: Type ID SSN NAME .....AND SOME MORE FIELDS A1 1234 ..... A1 1234 ..... B1 1234 ..... M2 4567 ..... M2 4567 ..... N2 4567 ..... N2 4567 ..... A1 9999 N2 9999 Now if A1 is present then B1 has to be present.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
2 Replies
SystemStarter(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  SystemStarter(8)

NAME
SystemStarter -- Start, stop, and restart system services SYNOPSIS
SystemStarter [-gvxdDqn] [action [service]] DESCRIPTION
The SystemStarter utility is deprecated. System services should instead be described by a launchd.plist(5). See launchd(8) for more details. The launchd utility is available on Mac OS X 10.4 and later. In earlier versions of Mac OS X, the SystemStarter utility is used to start, stop, and restart the system services which are described in the /Library/StartupItems/ and /System/Library/StartupItems/ paths. The optional action argument specifies which action SystemStarter performs on the startup items. The optional service argument specifies which startup items to perform the action on. If no service is specified, all startup items will be acted on; otherwise, only the item pro- viding the service, any items it requires, or any items that depend on it will be acted on. During boot SystemStarter is invoked by launchd(8) and is responsible for starting all startup items in an order that satisfies each item's requirements. ACTIONS
start start all items, or start the item that provides the specified service and all items providing services it requires. stop stop all items, or stop the item that provides the specified service and all items that depend on it. restart restart all items, or restart the item providing the specified service. OPTIONS
-g (ignored) -v verbose (text mode) startup -x (ignored) -r (ignored) -d print debugging output -D print debugging output and dependencies -q be quiet (disable debugging output) -n don't actually perform action on items (no-run mode) NOTES
Unless an explicit call to ConsoleMessage is made, SystemStarter examines the exit status of the startup item scripts to determine the suc- cess or failure of the services provided by that script. FILES
/Library/StartupItems/ User-installed startup items. /System/Library/StartupItems/ System-provided startup items. SEE ALSO
ConsoleMessage(8), launchd(8), launchd.plist(5), rc(8) HISTORY
The SystemStarter utility appeared in Darwin 1.0 and was extended in Darwin 6.0 to support partial startup and interprocess communication. SystemStarter was deprecated by launchd(8) in Darwin 8.0. Darwin April 12, 2002 Darwin