Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to fetch PIDs from the fuser command output Post 302407373 by bharath.gct on Thursday 25th of March 2010 08:34:51 AM
Old 03-25-2010
How do I get the Child Processes from the fuser output. I have to read the output and store the same into a variable which I can wait on. How do I do that?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

STDOUT redirect to a FILE, when fuser command is used !!

Hi all, I have the following script: ------------------------------------------------- #SCRIPT TO CHECK WHO HAS ACCESSED THE LOG/FILE IN PAST 'N' MINUTES, AND MAIL ACCORDINGLY. MYPATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="vg517@dcx.com" Subject="File accessed in last... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in fuser command

Hi all, I want to know if fuser command can be used to check if a file is being written or not??? Thanks In Advance Anju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anju
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline to fetch output

Input File: CPU minf mjf xcal intr ithr csw icsw migr smtx srw syscl usr sys wt idl 0 37 0 594 2205 1174 123 8 6 36 0 1954 6 8 0 86 1 1 0 49 26 0 44 3 2 6 0 624 2 1 0 97 2 0 0 5 5 0 8 1 0 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhallarandeep
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to fetch the output using AWK

Hi all, From the below file I need to fetch the data in the below output format. ToolInstanceID "diw_dm_sales" Identifier "Sales_source_load" Promt Default ParamType ParamLength ParamScale "Database_Name" "ORCL" "0" "0" "0" Identifier "retail_source_load" Promt Default... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetch last line no form file which is match with specific pattern by grep command

Hi i have a file which have a pattern like this Nov 10 session closed Nov 10 Nov 9 08:14:27 EST5EDT 2010 on tty . Nov 10 Oct 19 02:14:21 EST5EDT 2010 on pts/tk . Nov 10 afrtetryytr Nov 10 session closed Nov 10 Nov 10 03:21:04 EST5EDT 2010 Dec 8 Nov 10 05:03:02 EST5EDT 2010 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
13 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between fuser and lsof command

Hi, Can anyone explain me the difference between fsuer and lsof commands. As per my knowledge both the commands are used to find the processes used by the current file system or user. Apart from that what is the major difference between these commands (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fuser alternative OR running fuser on a script

Hi, Not sure whether there is a fuser alternative or any better way to check for file in use or not. I am wanting to check whether files are in use or not before removing them. Using fuser, the awk seems to be giving me 'weird' output not to mention that it is giving me 2 lines instead of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Fetch Command in UNIX

Hi there, What is the equivalent of fetch command in Ubuntu/Cygwin. My purpose is to modify the code in such a way that I can use fetch. #!/bin/sh #============================================================================ # $Id: ios-http-auth.sh,v 1.1 2001/06/29 00:59:44 root Exp root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies
fuser(2)							System Calls Manual							  fuser(2)

NAME
fuser - Reports PIDs and UIDs for files, file systems and/or the devices attached to them. SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/fuser.h> int fuser( char *file, long flag, struct f_user fuser_array[], long sizeof_fuser_array ); PARAMETERS
Specifies the file name. Specifies one of the following values. If none of the following are values are specified, the default is to match open files. Matches only file ids. Provides mount point matching. Matches deleted files on the mount point specified by file. Specifies the array. Specifies the number of elements in the fuser array. DESCRIPTION
The fuser function reports a list of PIDs and UIDs that are associated with a specified file, file system, and/or the devices that are attached to them. The fuser function can report back additional information about "matches" by ORing one of the following constants that can be passed back in the member fu_flags: Current directory Current directory Parent of the current directory At least one file open, but the number open is not known. Executable image. Controlling terminal Trace At least one file is mmapped RETURN VALUES
On success, the fuser function returns the number of fuser_array elements that were found. The contents of the structure are as follows: typedef struct f_user { pid_t fu_pid; int fu_flags; uid_t fu_uid; } f_user_t; If an error has occurred, the fuser function returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the fuser function fails, errno may be set to one of the following values: The array is not large enough to hold the number of array elements returned or the array structure cannot be filled The file parameter specified does not exist EXAMPLES
Open regular files and special files are matched using the flag parameter set at 0L. Thus, if process 127 and 3220 open the /home/try file simultaneously and the fuser function is active, the PIDs and UIDs associated with the home/try file are reported as in the following exam- ple: fuser("/home/try", 0L, fuser_array, (long) (sizeof (fuser_array)/sizeof(fuser_array[0])); Similarly, if the special device file /dev/ttyp2 is open by process 32, then that PID and its associated UID are reported as in the following example: fuser("/dev/ttyp2", 0L, fuser_array, (long) (sizeof (fuser_array)/sizeof(fuser_array[0])); fuser(2)