Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help required on basic Unix Bourne Shell Script Post 302407321 by Franklin52 on Thursday 25th of March 2010 05:44:56 AM
Old 03-25-2010
Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bourne shell script need help please ?

i have this assignment.. and i mad this script but there is something wrong with it.. if anyone can tell me.. watz going on... i would appreciate it.. tHnX in advance.. count=1 val=$2 op=$1 ans=0 if then if then while do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dezithug
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne Shell Script

Hello, I'm throwing this out there as a novice to the Unix world...I've been working on a project that requires me to ouput (using the echo command) a list of names in a single column format, but the problem is the input is in row format followed by a blank space...If anyone could give me a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmhonor914
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNix Bourne Shell

i require a utility that identifies all users currently logged into the system. It should create a file called logfile which contains a list of usernames together with a count of how many login sessions they are currently running, for example coc9io : 1 hbh8jd : 3 dg7hy : 1 root : 4 it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter112
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd from a Bourne Shell Script - Please Help

Dear Bourne Shell Expert, I am trying to change the current working directory from within a Bourne Shell script. Simply enough i thought ! As I am sure you are well aware, Inside the script i echo `pwd` and it seems ok, but the shell spawns another shell to execute this and as such, when my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete File 5 Min old in Unix (Bourne Shell)??

Guys, I am writing a script to delete files 5 min old in Sun Os Unix. find . -name "*.txt" -mtime +1 -print I could find an equivalent command to look for files which are 5 min old. i tried -mmin option it didn't work either. Can any body trow a light on this. Cheers :) S:b: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharma
5 Replies

6. Programming

Creating a basic UNIX shell script for chatting

Hey guys, This is quite simply what I'm trying to make: A program that runs in a UNIX terminal that you can output text messages to from another machine. These text messages would be prepended with a customized prompt. I'd also like to have the window spew out random dumps of flavor text not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send email using shell script in UNIX, Is any environment setup required in Mac OS X ?

Hi All, I am using Mac OS X (Leopard OS). I am very new to UNIX. My requirement is that, by running a shell script, I create a log file. So I have to send a mail having that log file attached. What I tried to do is, I simply tried to check,whether this direct command works or not. So I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afreen
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne shell script

Attempting to write a script to eventually notify me via email for when there is packetloss across the backbone. I am looking for values greater than 0% in the mtr field. #!/bin/sh target=www.google.com date +"%D"_"%T" >> /home/rich/mtr.log echo "----------------------------------------" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: closedown
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ORACLE SQL: Basic help required in script

Hi, I am having the following codes which generates 24 files: declare begin for i in 0..23 loop EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'create tablespace TSCGFCDR' ||to_char(sysdate,'DD')||'_'||to_char(i,'fm00')|| to_char(i+1,'fm00')||to_char(sysdate,'MONYY')||' DATAFILE '|| ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitesh1907
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX shell script required to read two columns from xml

Hello All, I am new to unix scripting. I need to read FROMINSTANCE, FROMFIELD from below XML code and need to write a script for insert into SQ_EPIC values( "DID", "PROJECT_NAME") Select DID, PROJECT_NAME from EPIC<CONNECTOR TOINSTANCETYPE="Source Qualifier" TOINSTANCE="SQ_EPIC" TOFIELD="DID"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar.lsb
7 Replies
Shell::Perl::Dumper(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Shell::Perl::Dumper(3pm)

NAME
Shell::Perl::Dumper - Dumpers for Shell::Perl SYNOPSYS
use Shell::Perl::Dumper; $dumper = Shell::Perl::Dumper::Plain->new; print $dumper->dump_scalar($scalar); print $dumper->dump_list(@list); DESCRIPTION
In "pirl", the result of the evaluation is transformed into a string to be printed. As this result may be a pretty complex data structure, the shell provides a hook for you to pretty-print these answers just the way you want. By default, "pirl" will try to convert the results via "Data::Dump". That means the output will be Perl code that may be run to get the data structure again. Alternatively, the shell may use "Data::Dumper" or "Data::Dump::Streamer" with almost the same result with respect to the representation as Perl code. (But the output of the modules differ enough for sufficiently complex data.) Other options are to set the output to produce YAML or a plain simple-minded solution which basically turns the result to string via simple interpolation. All of these are implemented via dumper objects. Dumpers are meant to be used like that: $dumper = Some::Dumper::Class->new; # build a dumper $s = $dumper->dump_scalar($scalar); # from scalar to string $s = $dumper->dump_list(@list); # from list to string METHODS The following methods compose the expected API of a dumper, as used by Shell::Perl. new $dumper = $class->new(@args); Constructs a dumper. dump_scalar $s = $dumper->dump_scalar($scalar); Turns a scalar into a string representation. dump_list $s = $dumper->dump_list(@list); Turns a list into a string representation. is_available $ok = $class->is_available This is an optional class method. If it exists, it means that the class has external dependencies (like "Shell::Perl::Data::Dump" depends on "Data::Dump") and whether these may be loaded when needed. If they can, this method returns true. Otherwise, returning false means that a dumper instance of this class probably cannot work. This is typically because the dependency is not installed or cannot be loaded due to an installation problem. This is the algorithm used by Shell::Perl XXX XXX XXX 1. THE STANDARD DUMPERS
Shell::Perl provides four standard dumpers: * Shell::Perl::Data::Dump * Shell::Perl::Data::Dumper * Shell::Perl::Data::Dump::Streamer * Shell::Perl::Dumper::YAML * Shell::Perl::Dumper::Plain which corresponds to the four options of the command " :set out ": "D", "DD", "DDS", "Y", and "P" respectively. Data::Dump The package "Shell::Perl::Data::Dump" implements a dumper which uses Data::Dump to turn Perl variables into a string representation. It is used like this: use Shell::Perl::Dumper; if (!Shell::Perl::Data::Dump->is_available) { die "the dumper cannot be loaded correctly" } $dumper = Shell::Perl::Data::Dump->new; print $dumper->dump_scalar($scalar); print $dumper->dump_list(@list); Examples of its output: pirl > :set out D pirl > { a => 3 } #scalar { a => 3 } pirl > (1, 2, "a") #list (1, 2, "a") Data::Dumper The package "Shell::Perl::Data::Dumper" implements a dumper which uses Data::Dumper to turn Perl variables into a string representation. It is used like this: use Shell::Perl::Dumper; if (!Shell::Perl::Data::Dumper->is_available) { die "the dumper cannot be loaded correctly" } $dumper = Shell::Perl::Data::Dumper->new; print $dumper->dump_scalar($scalar); print $dumper->dump_list(@list); Examples of its output: pirl > :set out DD pirl > { a => 3 } #scalar @var = ( { 'a' => 3 } ); pirl > (1, 2, "a") #list @var = ( 1, 2, 'a' ); YAML The package "Shell::Perl::Dumper::YAML" implements a dumper which uses YAML::Syck or YAML to turn Perl variables into a string representation. It is used like this: use Shell::Perl::Dumper; if (!Shell::Perl::Dumper::YAML->is_available) { die "the dumper cannot be loaded correctly" } $dumper = Shell::Perl::Dumper::YAML->new; print $dumper->dump_scalar($scalar); print $dumper->dump_list(@list); Examples of its output: pirl > :set out Y pirl @> { a => 3 } #scalar --- a: 3 pirl @> (1, 2, "a") #list --- 1 --- 2 --- a When loading, "YAML::Syck" is preferred to "YAML". If it is not avaiable, the "YAML" module is the second option. Data::Dump::Streamer The documentation is yet to be written. Plain Dumper The package "Shell::Perl::Dumper::Plain" implements a dumper which uses string interpolation to turn Perl variables into strings. It is used like this: use Shell::Perl::Dumper; $dumper = Shell::Perl::Dumper::Plain->new; print $dumper->dump_scalar($scalar); print $dumper->dump_list(@list); Examples of its output: pirl > :set out P pirl > { a => 3 } #scalar HASH(0x1094d2c0) pirl > (1, 2, "a") #list 1 2 a SEE ALSO
Shell::Perl BUGS
Please report bugs via CPAN RT <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Shell-Perl> or <mailto://bugs-Shell-Perl@rt.cpan.org>. AUTHORS
Adriano R. Ferreira, <ferreira@cpan.org> Caio Marcelo, <cmarcelo@gmail.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2007aXX2011 by Adriano R. Ferreira This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2011-03-10 Shell::Perl::Dumper(3pm)