Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read the input from a file in background process? Post 302407251 by kshji on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 11:55:48 PM
Old 03-25-2010
read ans < file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giveing input for BACKGROUND process

hai i want to run some of my programs in background for that i require to redirect my output and errors i got those two but i am unable to give the input to that background process so please help me if anybody know the answer for my problem (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_s_r_c
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read input file

echo "enter employee #:/c" read employee grep -w $employee /tmp/file.txt when it asked me employee #, i typed employee, worked fine. when it asked me employee #, i type ENTER, it just sit there. if someone type in NULL or ENTER key, i want to exit out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

4. Programming

read input-process-output

Can you help me ? I want to write a program ,which can open a input file (input.txt) and run as child process ,then write to output file (output.txt)....... char inFile="input.txt"; char outFile="output.txt"; int main(int argc, char **argv) { pid_t pid=1; int no=0; // no. of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cupid1575
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text file and use it as input

I need to take a text file that holds a bunch of data and run each the stuff in it as an input for the program. the file would hold stuff like this: thing1.awesomesite.com 80 123.456 thing2.awesomesite.com 80 789.098 thing3.awesomesite.com 80 765.432 ... Now I already know the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shade917
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)