Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Prompt for 2 variables if nothing is entered end script Post 302407249 by kshji on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 11:42:03 PM
Old 03-25-2010
Code:
echo "What is your name?"
read NAME
[ "$NAME"  = "" ] && echo "No name given" >&2 && exit 1

echo "What would you like to name your file?"
read FILE
[  "$FILE" = "" ] && echo "No script name" >&2 && exit 2

cat <<EOF >$FILE
#########################################################################$
#######
#This is CSI 135 Project 1 Question 2
# Output file: $FILE
# Created by: $NAME
# Data and time: $(date)
###############################################################################$
#######
Hello, world !
I am the script $FILE
EOF

If you like to set FILE is stdout after read then
Code:
exec >$FILE
# and stdout is now some file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script returns prompt

Hi, I am trying to create a script that will loop through my oratab file and pull out the instance name. Here is script: for instance in $(cat /etc/oratab|egrep ':N|:Y'|grep -v \*|grep -v \#|cut -f1 -d':') do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command prompt from within a script?

I am writing a menu script and one of the options is to access a Command Prompt and return to the menu via CTRL-D. I have tried using a loop and echoing the PS1 value, then using read to assign whatever is entered into a variable, then executing the value of that variable as a command using .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanitywonko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting cntrl-c entered inside a ksh script

hi guys, my ksh script is calling another script. The other script expects user to press CNTR-C, and does not return to the prompt. in my script, I want to call the other script, but somehow don't want it to wait forever, I want to return to my script. e.g. script2.ksh outputs: "No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to continue script if right word is not entered?

Hello, I am writing a script and in this script, I want to be able to have the script continue running if the correct word is not entered... Here is an excerpt from me script: read request if ; then echo "You have asked for the System Temperature..." cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niconico96
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Begin IF ,END IF END not working in the sql script

Hi I have written a script .The script runs properly if i write sql queries .But if i use PLSQL commands of BEGIN if end if , end ,then on running the script the comamds are getting printed on the prompt . Ex :temp.sql After connecting to the databse at the sql prompt i type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isha_1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete empty files from a directory entered in command prompt

My code to "Delete empty files from a directory entered in command promt" #/bin/sh echo "Enter directory" read gh for file in `ls $gh` do # to get the size of file a=$( ls -l file | awk ' {print $7} '); echo $a if then echo "removing file " rm file fi done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adirajup
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find between lines start and end: awk with bash variables

I have a file as follows: 0 1056 85540 414329 774485 1208487 1657519 2102753 2561259 3037737 3458144 3993019 4417959 4809964 5261890 5798778 6254146 I want to find all lines between a specified start and end tag. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
6 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)