Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing Fixed Width Columns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing Fixed Width Columns Post 302407137 by cixelsyd on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 04:04:01 PM
Old 03-24-2010
Printing Fixed Width Columns

Hi everyone,

I have been working on a pretty laborious shellscript (with bash) the last couple weeks that parses my firewall policies (from a Juniper) for me and creates a nifty little columned output. It does so using awk on a line by line basis to pull out the appropriate pieces of each policy to build the proper output later.

Unfortunately, not all the data that I extract from the text file comes out to the same length so often times my columns are all over the place.

I've been searching left and right, but cannot find of a good simple way to do this. I am beginning to think I will have to create some sort of function to find the length of each individual column before printing the data, but I am not sure if this is possible.

I am currently using the following code:
Code:
echo -e "From: \t"$frm_Zone"\tTo:\t"$to_Zone
echo -e $pol_Id"\t"$src_Address"\t\t"$dst_Address"\t\t"$pol_Service"\t"$pol_Action"\t"$pol_Name

#finding the array with the largest index
#so we now how many times to run the for loop

lnAddy=`echo ${#srcAddyArray[*]}`
lnSrc=`echo ${#dstAddyArray[*]}`
lnSvc=`echo ${#serviceArray[*]}`

max2 $lnAddy $lnSrc
temp=$?
max2 $temp $lnSvc
longest=$?

for (( i = 0; i < longest; i++ )) do

echo -e "\t"${srcAddyArray[$i]}"\t"${dstAddyArray[$i]}"\t"${serviceArray[$i]}
done

The output unfortunately ends up looking something like this:
Code:
615     Any             mail.acast.foo.com             tcp-6777 (wo 85073)     Permit Nat SRC  wo 85073
        69.xxx.xxx.1    mail.gort.org tcp-6788 (wo 85073)
        75.123.44.1     my.mctabbs.net   tcp-8008 (wo 85073)

596     Any             69.xxx.xxx.31            TCP-15888       Permit
        tables.noc.wow.org     mages.icecrown.com      tcp-16888
                        TCP-17888
                        UDP-17888
                        UDP-18888

Is it possible to get the output to be spaced appropriately so it doesn't get clobbered if some lines are longer than others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you need to see the rest of the script or some sample data, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two fixed width columns to a variable length file

Hi, I have two files. File1: File1 contains two fixed width columns ID of 15 characters length and Name is of 100 characters length. ID Name 1-43<<11 spaces>>Swapna<<94 spaces>> 1-234<<10 spaces>>Mani<<96 spaces>> 1-3456<<9 spaces>>Kapil<<95 spaces>> File2: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed-Width file from Oracle

Hi All, I have created a script which generates FIXED-WIDTH file by executing Oracle query. SELECT RPAD(NVL(col1,CHR(9)),20)||NVL(col2,CHR(9))||NVL(col3,CHR(9) FROM XYZ It generates the data file with proper alignment. But if same file i transfer to windows server or Mainframe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable fixed-width fields

Hi there, CTL Port IO Rate(IOPS) Read Rate(IOPS) Write Rate(IOPS) Read Hit(%) Write Hit(%) Trans. Rate(MB/S) Read Trans. Rate(MB/S) Write Trans. Rate(MB/S) 09:36:48 0 A 136 0 135 97 100 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gray380
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse fixed-width columns which may include empty fields?

I am trying to selectively display several columns from a db2 query, which gives me a fixed-width output (partial output listed here): --------- -------------------------- ------------ ------ 000 0000000000198012 702 29 000 0000000000198013 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsh79
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates in fixed width file which has multiple key columns

Hi All , I have a requirement where I need to remove duplicates from a fixed width file which has multiple key columns .Also , need to capture the duplicate records into another file . File has 8 columns. Key columns are col1 and col2. Col1 has the length of 8 col 2 has the length of 3. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter Fixed Width File

Thank u so much .Its working fine as expected. ---------- Post updated at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 PM ---------- I need one more help. I have another file(fixed length) that will get negative value (ex:-00000000003000) in postion (98 - 112) then i have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining fixed width files

Hi All, I need to join fixed width files on a column which is position 1 to 3 and need to have all the records from file1 file1.txt Cu1nullL1L2 Cu2nullL1L2 Cu3nullL1L2 file2.txt Cu1B1B2 Cu3B1B2 output.txt Cu1L1B1L2B2 Cu2L1L2 Cu3L1B1L2B3 I tried but not getting the expected... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
12 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)