Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract specific content from data and rename its header problem asking Post 302407018 by alister on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 11:11:13 AM
Old 03-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomex999
You can modify alister code like this...
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR {if (/^>/) p=substr($0,2); 
else a[p]=a[p] $0; next} 
{printf(">%s_0.%02u\n%s\n", $1, ++i[$1], substr(a[$1], $2, ($2>=$3?$3:$3-$2+1)))}' f1 f2

Hi, malcomeex999:

That tweak is incorrect, if I understand the modification to f2 correctly. If the second field is greater than the third, then it instead of being treated as the beginning index of the substring, it should be considered the end index (and the interpretation of the third field should be complementarily swapped). The correct solution requires that the second argument to substr() be modified as well, since in the case of $2 > $3, it should be $3 not $2.

By the way, malcomeex999 and rdcwayx, thank you very much for your bit awards. It's appreciated Smilie

Hi, patrick87:

One solution to handle both cases (even if they appear within the same file2):
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR {if (/^>/) p=substr($0,2); else a[p]=a[p] $0; next}
     {if ($2>$3) {t=$2; $2=$3; $3=t}; printf(">%s_0.%02u\n%s\n", $1, ++i[$1], substr(a[$1], $2, $3-$2+1))}' f1 f2

It works identically to my earlier solution except that it tests the second and third fields in f2. If the first index is greater than the second, their values are swapped before the substr() call.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific content from a file

My input file: >sequence_1 ASSSSSSSSSSSDDDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCC ASDSFDFFDFDFFWERERERERFSDFESFSFD >sequence_2 ASDFDFDFFDDFFDFDSFDSFDFSDFSDFDSFASDSADSADASD ASDFFDFDFASFASFASFAFSFFSDASFASFASFAFS >sequence_3 VEDFGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG dDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDF SDGFDGSFDGSGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG My... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
22 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the content after a specific data

My input: >seq_1 DSASSTRRARRRRTPRTPSLRSRRSDVTCS >seq_3 RMRLRRWRKSCSERS*RRSN >seq_8 RTTGLSERPRLPTTASRSISSRWTR >seq_10 NELPLEKGSLDSISIE >seq_9 PNQGDAREPQAHLPRRQGPRDRPLQAYA+ QVQHRRHDHSRTQH*LCRRRQREDCDRLHR >seq_4 DRGKGQAGCRRPQEGEALVRRCS>seq_6 FA*GLAAQDGEA*SGRG My output: Extract all... (22 Replies)
22 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific data content from a long list of data

My input: Data name: ABC001 Data length: 1000 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 10 100 90 1 forward 15 200 185 2 reverse 50 500 450 Data name: XFG110 Data length: 100 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 50 100 50 ... (11 Replies)
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove specific pattern header and its content problem facing

Input file: >TRACK: Position: 1 TYPE: 1 Pos: SVAVPQRHHPGGTVFREPIIIPAIPRLVPGWNKPIIIGRHAFGDQYRATDRVIPGPGKLE LVYTPVNGEPETVKVYDFQGGGIAQTQYNTDESIRGFAHASFQMALLKGLPLYMSTKNTI LKRYDGRFKDIFQEIYESTYQKDFEAKNLWYEHRLIDDMVAQMIKSEGGFVMALKNYDGD >TRACK: Position: 1 TYPE: 2 Pos: FAHASFQMALLKGLPLYMS... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Way to extract detail and its content above specific value problem asking

Input file: >position_10 sample:68711 coords:5453-8666 number:3 type:complete len:344 MSINQYSSDFHYHSLMWQQQQQQQQHQNDVVEEKEALFEKPLTPSDVGKLNRLVIPKQHA ERYFPLAAAAADAVEKGLLLCFEDEEGKPWRFRYSYWNSSQSYVLTKGWSRYVKEKHLDA NRTS* >position_4 sample:68711 coords:553-866 number:4 type:partial len:483... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx requirement - email body header in bold and data content in normal text

Dear all- I have a requirement to send an email via email with body content which looks something below- Email body contents -------------------- RequestType: Update DateAcctOpened: 1/5/2010 Note that header information and data content should be normal text.. Please advice on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all content that match exactly only specific word

Input: 21 templeta parent 35718 36554 . - . ID=parent_cluster_50.21.11; Name=Partial%20parent%20for%20training%20set; 21 templeta kids 35718 36554 . - . ID=_52; Parent=parent_cluster_5085.21.11; 21 templeta ... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with rename header content based on reference file problem

I got long list of reference file >data_tmp_number_22 >data_tmp_number_12 >data_tmp_number_20 . . Input file: >sample_data_1 Math, 5, USA, tmp SDFEWRWERWERWRWER FSFDSFSDFSDGSDGSD >sample_data_2 Math, 15, UK, tmp FDSFSDFF >sample_data_3 Math, 50, USA, tmp ARQERREQR . . Desired... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific string and rename file

Hi all, I am working on a small prog.. i have a file.txt which contains random data... K LINES V4 ADD CODE `COMPANY` ADD CODE `DISTRIBUTOR` SEQ NAME^K LINES V5 SEQ NAME^K LINES V6 ADD `PACK-LDATE` SEQ NAME^K^KCOMMAND END^KHEADINFO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with rename data content

Input file: data21_result1 data23_result1 data43_result1 data43_result2 data43_result3 data3_result1 . . data9_result1 Desired output data1_result1 data2_result1 data3_result1 data3_result2 data3_result3 data4_result1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 bytes(3pm)