Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell: reconcile language and sort behaviour Post 302406867 by radoulov on Wednesday 24th of March 2010 04:57:23 AM
Old 03-24-2010
Do not set LC_* in your profile. Just run the sort command in a different environment, when needed:

Code:
LC_COLLATE=C sort ...

or

Code:
LC_ALL=C sort ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

any explanation for thsi shell script behaviour

hello whats the difference between excuting a shell script as a)sh myscript.sh b). ./myscript.sh i noticed that my shell script works fine when i run it as . ./myscript .sh but fails when i run it as sh myscript.sh could anybody explain why. the shell script is very simple ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to resolve uncertian behaviour of a sort command

I have got a file BeforeSort.txt having 40 fields seperated by "|" First field= RecordType (Value will be P or FP) Second field= CamCode Third field = UpdatingDate Fourth field = ProductType Fifth field = ActionCode (Value may be 01, 02 or 03) Sixth field = ProductCode and so on My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajrai
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command - strange behaviour

Hi guys, I have the following example data: A;00:00:19 B;00:01:02 C;00:00:13 D;00:00:16 E;00:02:27 F;00:00:12 G;00:00:21 H;00:00:19 I;00:00:13 J;00:13:22 I run the following sort against it, yet the output is as follows: sort -t";" +1 -nr example_data.dat A;00:00:19 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces behaviour in shell

Hello, I am a bit puzzled by the way my shell treats spaces in filenames. An example will be way clearer than any explanation I can make: $ ls test\ file\ with\ spaces test file with spaces $ var="test\ file\ with\ spaces" $ echo $var test\ file\ with\ spaces $ ls $var ls: cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDelroen
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i run the shell script from ABAP programming language

I am in need to execute the Files transferring's shell script from ABAP programming language. it would be highly appreciated if you help me as quickly as possible. Thank you (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkat1818
28 Replies

6. Programming

How to pass the command line arguments to the shell script in c language?

hi, I am new in the shell script, and c programming with linux. I am looking to pass the arguments in c program that should be executed by the shell script. e.g. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int i; for (i=1;i<argc; i++) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharlin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting using shell language

hi i am student and i learn computer sciences i need to write a script that can will be execute automatically when a user logs on a computer, and will be automatically disconnect after a duration that i will determine can somebody help me thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thucydide
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Destroy All Software on strange language behaviour

I'll just leave this here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell behaviour in AIX

Hi, Consider the code snippet below: fun() { while read x do echo $x done < somefile_that_does_not_exists } fun echo I am here Korn shell on HPUX prints the message "I am here", while the behaviour is different on AIX korn shell. We do not get the message on AIX. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 116@434
5 Replies

10. Programming

Sort behaviour

I see strange results when sorting with -n options and I wander if somebody can explain it. Input file and two results: $ cat aa 14 -1 11 -1 0 -1 0 $ sort -u aa -1 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: migurus
1 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Subroutines::ProhibitReturnSort(3)User Contributed Perl DocumentatioPerl::Critic::Policy::Subroutines::ProhibitReturnSort(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Subroutines::ProhibitReturnSort - Behavior of "sort" is not defined if called in scalar context. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The behavior of the builtin "sort" function is not defined if called in scalar context. So if you write a subroutine that directly "return"s the result of a "sort" operation, then you code will behave unpredictably if someone calls your subroutine in a scalar context. This Policy emits a violation if the "return" keyword is directly followed by the "sort" function. To safely return a sorted list of values from a subroutine, you should assign the sorted values to a temporary variable first. For example: sub frobulate { return sort @list; # not ok! @sorted_list = sort @list; return @sort # ok } KNOWN BUGS
This Policy is not sensitive to the "wantarray" function. So the following code would generate a false violation: sub frobulate { if (wantarray) { return sort @list; } else{ return join @list; } } CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. CREDITS
This Policy was suggested by Ulrich Wisser and the <http://iis.se> team. AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::Subroutines::ProhibitReturnSort(3)