Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vuze/MacOS X: Too many open files Post 302406740 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 23rd of March 2010 07:12:18 PM
Old 03-23-2010
Mac OS like everything apple travels to the beat of a different drum. I do not pretend to know a lot about it however this was true with Darwin:

If the kernel has no imposed open file limit or it is large, then there is a per process restriction in place if you get that kind of error. Assuming you don't have 8192 files open.

Connect as the user username in your above excerpt, not sudo. login as that username.
Code:
ulimit

What does that show you?

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 03-23-2010 at 08:47 PM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX on MacOS X

I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has been using the BSD UNIX that underlies MacOS X. Is this an "industrial strength" version of UNIX? Can I run X-Windows on such a machine? How about TeXing, pythoning, PERLing or using other useful UNIX goodies near and dear to my shrunken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncmathsadist
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Macos is the UNIX?

why,just beacuse that its the bottom layer uses a small amount of bsd code? In my opinion, macos and Unix are completely different. The directories are long directory structures. For example, /application, /system, /user, /volumes, etc. are completely different from the traditional /bin/ /sbin... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaizhichun
5 Replies

3. Programming

Campimeter.sh for macOS

Hi Neo... This is me too except for the attention span. As soon as I find a solution to something I let others better it. And as for doing something different I have done some bizarre stuff on here... <wink> /Me awaits the mickey take... ;oD OT: Here is a small snippet for a terminal window... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit -- get and set process limits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, ...); DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function will get and set process limits. Currently, this is limited to the maximum file size. The cmd argument is one of the following: UL_GETFSIZE will return the maximum file size of the current process, in units of 512-byte blocks. UL_SETFSIZE will attempt to set the maximum file size of the current process and its children, using the second argument (expressed as a long). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, ulimit() returns the value requested; otherwise, the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ulimit() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The command specified was invalid. [EPERM] The limit specified to ulimit() would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2) STANDARDS
The ulimit() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The ulimit() function first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The ulimit() function provides limited precision for setting and retrieving process limits. If there is a need for greater precision than the type long provides, the getrlimit(2) and setrlimit(2) functions should be considered. BSD
January 4, 2003 BSD