Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem in exiting a loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in exiting a loop Post 302406533 by anijan on Tuesday 23rd of March 2010 08:04:55 AM
Old 03-23-2010
I think it is working fine now... sorry.. it was a mistake from myside. Is there any way to retain the exit code ( or some value) for the next run of the script.?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Else Loop Exiting Early

All, I'm having a problem w/this function. Specifically, I want to call another function (get_stats) when the process in the else completes (the initial if and the elsif seem to work fine). But what's happening is the get_stats function call is running after the else runs only once, NOT when it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GregWold
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exiting from a loop

I wonder if someone could help me here. I am trying to find a way of exiting from a loop but not exiting me from the script for example #!/bin/ksh # ************* FUNCTIONS ****************** function1() { #ping test ping $1 2 > /dev/null if ; then ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"while read ..." loop exiting after reading only one record

Greeting, The following script completes after reading only one record from the input file that contains many records. I commented out the "ssh" and get what I expect, an echo of all the records in the input.txt file. Is ssh killing the file handle? On the box "uname -a" gives "SunOS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Forever Script Strangely Exiting

Hi, I have a really simple script which I want to run forever, inside the loop it runs a C application which if it exits should restart. #!/bin/sh while true do ./SCF scf.conf >> scf.log sleep 2 done For some reason the SCF C application coredumps and the script is exiting.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvinwright
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in quitting/exiting from sqlplus

Hello, This is my first post and I would be very thankful if you can help me. I've already searched in the forum and I've found a very similar thread in wich my problem is solved, but the thread is closed and the solution given in it doesn't work in my shell: 153194-problem-quitting-sqlplus ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuanPerez
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem exiting a WHILE loop in ksh

Hi I am having a problem exiting a WHILE loop. I am on a Sun server using ksh. I am running a Veritas Cluster Software (High Availablity) command to obtain a group status and grepping the command output for status "G" which means that the filesystem is frozen and therefore not available to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbuk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop Exiting

We are trying to design a flow so that an ETL job shouldn't start until the previous job completes. The script we have written is while ; do sleep 2; done The loop however exits even when the process is actually running. Why could this be happening? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with loop within loop

Hi, I work on Ab-initio ETL tool which is based on Unix. I made a small script which has two loop's one with in another. All the functionality is working for the first line of outer loop but when it comes to other lines of outer loop it is throwing error as command not found. Below is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop exiting

Hi , I am processing some files using below shell script the problem for loop exit after processing some files even though it exist.After modifying file.txt and rerunning the script and its running .Any Advise for i in `cat /xx/file.txt |tr -s "," '\n' ` ; do echo $i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
3 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
       git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code

SYNOPSIS
       . "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup"

DESCRIPTION
       This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish
       scripts and/or are writing new ones.

The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git
       directories and a few helper shell functions.

Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage()
       shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not).

The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment.

FUNCTIONS
       die
	   exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream.

usage
	   die with the usage message.

set_reflog_action
	   Set GIT_REFLOG_ACTION environment to a given string (typically the name of the program) unless it is already set. Whenever the script
	   runs a git command that updates refs, a reflog entry is created using the value of this string to leave the record of what command
	   updated the ref.

git_editor
	   runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified
	   and the terminal is dumb.

is_bare_repository
	   outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated
	   working tree).

cd_to_toplevel
	   runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree.

require_work_tree
	   checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies.

require_work_tree_exists
	   checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which
	   is impossible to do if there is no working tree.

require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>]
	   checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits
	   an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example:

require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them."

get_author_ident_from_commit
	   outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit.

create_virtual_base
	   modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first
	   file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge.

GIT
       Part of the git(1) suite

Git 2.17.1							    10/05/2018							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)