Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Search Parameter in first line and replace next line content Post 302406459 by zaxxon on Tuesday 23rd of March 2010 02:53:25 AM
Old 03-23-2010
With gnu sed:

Code:
sed '/ListenPort/ {n; s/21111/98765/}' infile

Other seds might want to have each part on a separate line like:
Code:
sed '/ListenPort/{
   n
   s/21111/98765/
}' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace the whole line

Hi, I have this line in a file called test.cfg SOURCEFILE=/usr/platform/sun4v/driver/file.cfg But i have many occurances of "SOURCEFILE" in test.cfg , i need to search only for this line and replace that line with SOURCEFILE=/usr/platform/sun4x/driver/file.cfg again there are many... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a line content

Hi Experts, I have binary files contain an ID Line as: : : $Header: FNDSCMON.fmb 115.6 2000/01/11 10:26:10 pkm ship$ : : where the ID Line format is: $Header: <File_Name> <Version> <Last_update_date_time> pkm ship$ In this Example: File_Name = FNDSCMON.fmb Version = 115.6... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for a string ,replace the whole line with new line

hai i am very new to unix. i am having two files like this. first.properties cache.ZA.TL_CCY=SELECT trim(CCY_CODE)||trim(COUNTRY_CODE)||trim(CITY_CODE) AS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text and replace line next to it

I have a file which requires modification via a shell script. Need to do the following: 0. take input from user for new text. 1. search for a keyword in the file. 2. replace the line next to this to this keyword with user supplied input. for e.g., my file has the following text: (some... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chingupt
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace comma with new line and repeat the content

Input file G A G A,T A C A G,T,C T C . . Desired Output file G A G A G T A C A G A T A C T C (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
4 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)