Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is meant by subprocesses? Post 302406213 by Straitsfan on Monday 22nd of March 2010 09:52:53 AM
Old 03-22-2010
But, with all due respect, that doesn't make it any clearer.

Can you tell me what a process is, and give an example of one, and then explain/give an example, or tell me then what the subprocess would be? I'm just learning about this kind of stuff and it's still confusing. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me with this script meant for checking /etc/passwd if a name exists

I'm trying to create a program that includes variety of duties. One of the duties includes deleting a user if the user name exist in the /etc/passwd file. how do i make that happen. those of you that know about this shell programming, please tell me what i should do after the shell reads... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

possibility to call subprocesses from ksh ??

Hi!! Is there a possibility to call/start a subproces using ksh ?? Hope that there is somebody to help me. thanks in advance. Corine (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueLady
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is meant by Kernel Parameter "dflssiz" in Digital Unix (OSF)

Hi, We have a Digital Unix Server with OSF. There's a Kernel Parameter "dflssiz" on this server. I just want to know, what it means. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is meant by <<! ... ! ??

I tried typing it into google but no results. I don't know what it's called or what it does and when it is used so I must ask: What does it mean if you have something like... cmd <!! cm2 cm3 ! What do those <!! and ! symbols do? When/why do you use them? I found it inside a bourne... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

What is meant by the words under usernames?

Under all users, there are some keynames. Some are obvious, like Moderator and Registered User. I have seen others too. What do they mean or signify?;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is meant by "exit $?"

What is meant by "exit $?" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh149
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is meant by "LDAP Instances"?

What is meant by "LDAP Instances"?any clarification or examples? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to kill a script and all its subprocesses?

I'd like to terminate scripts. These scripts are not by me, but other persons. These contain other programs such as ping, nmap, arp, etc. If such a script is running, how can I terminate this script AND all processes called by this script? These scripts are big so terminating all programs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordofazeroth
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shells, forks, subprocesses... oh my

all, i've been reading to try and get an abstract idea of the process effeciency of commands , sed, bash, perl, awk, find, grep, etc which processes will spawn?, fork?, launch subshell?, etc and under what conditions? how do you know which commands have the faster and better stdio... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies
DtMmdbBookGetTabList(library call)										DtMmdbBookGetTabList(library call)

NAME
DtMmdbBookGetTabList -- obtains the list of tab sections in a book SYNOPSIS
#include <DtMmdb.h> DtMmdbHandle** DtMmdbBookGetTabList( DtMmdbInfoRequest* request, unsigned int* length); DESCRIPTION
The DtMmdbBookGetTabList function returns the list of tab sections for the specified book object. It returns the list in a NULL-terminated array. Use the DtMmdbFreeHandleList function to release the memory when the array is no longer needed. Table lookup is involved when the identifier is specified by either the primary_oid or sequence_num field. ARGUMENTS
request Specifies the bookcase in the bookcase descriptor field, as well as a valid value in the primary_oid, the secondary_oid, or the sequence_num field. The primary_oid represents the DtInfo Database object identifier of the TOC section; the secondary_oid rep- resents the object identifier of the book itself; and the sequence_num represents the sequence number of the book within the bookcase (0 based). If more than one of these fields have a valid value, the order of precedence is: primary_oid, secondary_oid, and, last, sequence_num. length Specifies the variable to receive the length of the returned list of sections, if the returned pointer to the list is not NULL. RETURN VALUE
If DtMmdbBookGetTabList completes successfully, it returns a pointer to the list of sections for the book. If it fails, it returns a NULL pointer. EXAMPLE
None. SEE ALSO
TO BE SUPPLIED. DtMmdbBookGetTabList(library call)