Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shared memory in linux
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Shared memory in linux Post 302405882 by Corona688 on Saturday 20th of March 2010 12:27:50 PM
Old 03-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by divyaimca
/dev/shm is the physicaly shared memory from RAM which is used to speed up execution in Linux/unix .
Program code ends up cached in RAM anyway. Shared libraries end up in shared memory anyway. You might want to rethink your strategy for improving performance.

/dev/shm is often used to explicitly create memory blocks for processes to share between them but in the end is just a ramdisk, no more, no less.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

2. Programming

memory sharing - not shared memory -

hi, this is the problem: i want to swap a linked list between 4 processes (unrelated), is there any way i can do that just by sending a pointer to a structure? //example typedef struct node { int x; char c; struct node *next; } node; or i should send the items ( x,c ) by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

3. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

4. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared Memory

Hi, Using ipcs we can see shared memory, etc.. details. How can I add/remove shared memory(command name)? Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

about shared memory space in Linux !

Dear Friends , I am confused about shared memory in Linux . plz look @ the below output : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 126G 61G 59G 52% / tmpfs 1.7G 0 1.7G 0% /dev/shm Here , I see that every time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to remove shared memory in Redhat Linux

unable to remove shared memory using ipcrm -m in linux $ ipcs -m ------ Shared Memory Segments -------- key shmid owner perms bytes nattch status 0x00000000 32768 root 644 80 2 0x00000000 65537 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
4 Replies

8. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

9. Programming

Linux Shell Piping w/Shared Memory

So I am pretty new to the linux environment, and I am trying to create a shell that uses multiple pipes, and I read online that piping using shared memory space is more efficient than using regular piping. However, I have zero clue how to use shared memory space with pipes. Has anyone done this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Greg_MC
1 Replies
shm.h(3HEAD)                                                          Headers                                                         shm.h(3HEAD)

NAME
shm.h, shm - shared memory facility SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/shm.h> DESCRIPTION
The <sys/shm.h> header defines the following symbolic constants: SHM_RDONLY attach read-only (else read-write) SHM_RND round attach address to SHMLBA The <sys/shm.h> header defines the following symbolic value: SHMLBA segment low boundary address multiple The following data types are defined through typedef: shmatt_t Unsigned integer used for the number of current attaches that must be able to store values at least as large as a type unsigned short. The shmid_ds structure contains the following members: struct ipc_perm shm_perm /* operation permission structure */ size_t shm_segsz /* size of segment in bytes */ pid_t shm_lpid /* process ID of last shared memory operation */ pid_t shm_cpid /* process ID of creator */ shmatt_t shm_nattch /* number of current attaches */ time_t shm_atime /* time of last shmat() */ time_t shm_dtime /* time of last shmdt() */ time_t shm_ctime /* time of last change by shmctl() */ The pid_t, time_t, key_t, and size_t types are defined as described in <sys/types.h>. See types.h(3HEAD). In addition, all of the symbols from <sys/ipc.h> are defined when this header is included. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
shmctl(2), shmget(2), shmop(2), ipc.h(3HEAD), types.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 shm.h(3HEAD)