Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: i can't cut the third col
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting i can't cut the third col Post 302405168 by maxim42 on Thursday 18th of March 2010 05:27:09 AM
Old 03-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthigayan
Try this ,

Code:
sed -r "s/\s{2,}/|/g" file | cut -d '|' -f 3

thanks but not work cause i am in aix

sed: Not a recognized flag: r
Usage: sed [-n] [-u] Script [File ...]
sed [-n] [-u] [-e Script] ... [-f Script_file] ... [File ...]

---------- Post updated at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
Code:
awk '{$1=$2=$NF=""}1' urfile

thanks very much it is work , can u explain it to me to understand what u did ?

i need also the fourth col

THANKS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help On col command

Hello Can Any1 tell me the difference between the col command and the col command with the -f option. I tried running both of them but i can't see any difference. Please guide me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info about col command

Hello every1. Can any1 help me with the col command. Wat is a reverse line feed. Which kind of files u need to use the col command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Match col 1 of File 1 with col 1 File 2 and create a 3rd file

Hello, I have a 1.6 GB file that I would like to modify by matching some ids in col1 with the ids in col 1 of file2.txt and save the results into a 3rd file. For example: File 1 has 1411 rows, I ignore how many columns it has (thousands) File 2 has 311 rows, 1 column Would like to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sogi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Delete the First Blank of the First Col?

Hi to all. In the following example, how can I delete the first blank of the first col? (using shell scripting) first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth Thank's for reading. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add new col in a file

Hi, Experts, I have a requirement as following: my source file: a a a b b c c c c I need add one more colume as following: 1 a 2 a 3 a 1 b 2 b 1 c 2 c (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print line based on highest value of col (B) and repetion of values in col (A)

Hello everyone, I am writing a script to process data from the ATP world tour. I have a file which contains: t=540 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=4 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imahmoud
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing from col x to end of line, except last col

Hello, I have some tab delimited data and I need to move the last col. I could hard code it, awk '{ print $1,$NF,$2,$3,$4,etc }' infile > outfile but it would be nice to know the syntax to print a range cols. I know in cut you can do, cut -f 1,4-8,11- to print fields 1,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying col values based on another col

Hi, Please help with this. I have several excel files (with and .xlsx format) with 10-15 columns each. They all have the same type of data but the columns are not ordered in the same way. Here is a 3 column example. What I want to do add the alphabet from column 2 to column 3, provided... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matrix to 3 col sorted

Hello experts, I have matrices sorted by position, there are 400k rows, 3000 columns. ID CHR POS M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 ID1 1 1 4.6 2.6 2.1 3.5 4.2 ID2 1 100 3.6 2.9 3.2 2.6 2.5 ID3 1 1000 4.1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
9 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)