Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Seach for part of string and replace whole word Post 302404958 by joeyg on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 04:37:33 PM
Old 03-17-2010
Does this do it?

Code:
>echo The fish swims in the water. | tr " " "\n" | sed "s/.*ms/~&~/" | tr "~" "\t" | tr "\n" " "
The fish        swims    in the water.
>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a part of string

Hi, I have files that are named front1.txt to front999.txt. They are all in the same directory. To change "front" to "back", I am doing something like this. for file in *.txt; do new=`echo $file | sed 's/^**/back/g'` mv $file $new done My problem is what if files are named... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csejl
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a part of the word in Shell

I have a csv file in which there are numbers like 078976/9XXX 098754/8XXX I want to replace the XXX with null. I want to know the command/code to do this. I know how to replace the whole word/number. But don't know how to replace a part of it. Thanks in advance, Mihir (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirk
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding replace a part of a string

hi all. i have a file name like abcd_vbnh.a_p i have to copy it as abcd_vbnh.a every time... in unix not in perl please (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_aqua14
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK seach for exact word in certain column

Can anyone help me how I will extract all lines in a file where the word "worker" or "co-worker" in 2nd column exist. There are also word in 2nd column like "workers" or "worker2" but I don't want to display those lines. Appreciate any help in advance! Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seach and Replace

Our email address is changing and I need to update 4000 htm pages. I was told I command was something like this Eg) find docs/700_799/ -name "*.htm" -type f | xargs perl -pi -e 's/\/company-information\/legal-and-regulatory/\/legal-and-regulatory/g' Is there away of not changing the date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mchelle_99
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep part of word or Another word from a string

Hi all, FileOne family balance >>>>> 0 0 0 0 java.io.FileNotFoundException: Settings.xml (No such file or directory) at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) .. .... ..... ..... java.lang.NullPointerException ... ..... ...... Stacktrace: at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a part of the string

Hi I need to Replace a part of string in between one complete string. For e.g.. in the file the value is as: jobnm_$code_xyz_001 In script we are having a variable code=$3, where $3=ab final output should be jobnm_ab_xyz_001. But it is not working. Your help will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word in a string starting with another word

Hi All, I have a file in which a number of lines are starting with similar first word but different next words. I want to replace the any nth word(not 1st or 2nd) with another word. Eg:- My file contains are like this:- Ram is a boy. Ram is a good boy. Ram plays cricket. Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshbaranwal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - replace only on part of the string

Hello there, I need some help. I have a file containing this : $ cat file PARM1=(VAL11),PARM2=(VAL21,VAL22,VAL23),PARM3=(VAL31),PARM4=(VAL41,VAL42) and I need to replace all the ',' by '|' but only those which are between brackets. Output would be :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sephiburp
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace part of string?

Hi Gurus, I need to replace part of string in file, the string format is below: I can use ABCD to find string, then replace values after "=" sign ABCD_XXX=value ABCD_YYY=value after replace ABCD_XXX=new_value ABCD_YYY=new_value my OS is SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc sun4v ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
9 Replies
DXmCSTextReplace(3X)													      DXmCSTextReplace(3X)

NAME
DXmCSTextReplace - Replaces a specified segment of text in a compound string text widget. SYNOPSIS
DXmCSTextStatus DXmCSTextReplace( Widget widget, int from_pos, int to_pos, XmString value ); PARAMETERS
The identifier (widget ID) of the compound string text widget. An integer that represents the first character position of the text being replaced. An integer that represents the last character position of the text being replaced. Replacement text for part of the current text in the compound string text widget, or additional text to be inserted into the compound string text widget. DESCRIPTION
The DXmCSTextReplace routine replaces part of the text in the compound string text widget. Within the widget, positions are numbered starting at 0 and increasing sequentially. For example, to replace the second and third characters in the text, from_pos should be 1 and to_pos should be 3. To insert text after the fourth character, from_pos and to_pos should both be 4. RETURN VALUES
A value that represents the status (success or failure) of the replace operation, as follows: -------------------------------------------------------- Value Description -------------------------------------------------------- DXmCSTextStatusEditDone Text replaced successfully. DXmCSTextStatusEditError Text not replaced (failure). -------------------------------------------------------- SEE ALSO
DXmCreateCSText(3X), DXmCSTextSetString(3X), DXmCSTextGetString(3X) DXmCSTextReplace(3X)