Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating variable using awk in bash Post 302404945 by joeyg on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 03:32:52 PM
Old 03-17-2010
Question

What are you trying to accomplish with the sed -n
-- are you merely trying to read record (line) by record?

Is your issue that you are missing a final " character

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash/awk scripting help (creating OLD new users)

I need some help making this script... I guess I'm having trouble even interpretating what to even get started on... I need to create a script that will search a given directory (typically a user's home directory, but not necessarily) as provided on the command line and any sub-directors for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jukai
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving awk value in a bash array variable

hi all i am trying to save an awk value into an array in bash: total=`awk '{sum+=$3} END {print sum}' "$count".txt"` ((count++)) the above statement is in a while loop.. $count is to keep track of file numbers (1.txt,2.txt,3.txt,etc.) i get the following error: ./lines1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

populate a bash variable from an awk operation

Hi, I'm trying to populate bash script variable, data_size with the size of the largest file in my current directory data_size=$(ls -lS | grep -v "total" | head -1) | awk '{ print $5 }' I've tried adding an echo before the call to awk data_size=$(ls -l | grep -v "total" | head -1) |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_s_g
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not escape my bash variable

I tried to parse data from switch configuration files vlan 1727 name SQ5506-15 by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/13 ! vlan 2105 name SQ5620-7007(BR2) by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/17 ! interface ethernet 1/13 port-name SQ5506-15.nic0 rate-limit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: winggundamth
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash array name from variable

Hi gurus, I need to create arrays from variables, via a loop. The issue I have is with the array name creation. How do I use a variable to define an array? I want to do something like declare -a $H where $H is my loop variable. I then need to add items to each array I've created,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melias
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk instructions and bash variable

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a small script to automatize row data treatment. However, I got some trouble with the awk command. I want to use awk to extract a define paragraph from a text file. The first and final lines are defined externally in two variables called debut and fin. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeaTimeSF
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable expansion in awk script

Hello, I need to split a file into two of different locations by re-direction in awk. cat infle aaa 1 3 bbb 2 4 aaa 3 3 bbb 4 4 aaa 5 3 bbb 6 4 cat /storage/tmp/group_a.gtf aaa 1 3 aaa 3 3 aaa 5 3 cat /storage/tmp/group_b.gtf bbb 2 4 bbb ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies
PX_PUT_RECORDN(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PX_PUT_RECORDN(3)

NAME
PX_put_recordn -- Stores record in Paradox file at certain position SYNOPSIS
#include <paradox.h> int PX_put_recordn(pxdoc_t *pxdoc, char *data, int recpos) DESCRIPTION
Stores a record in the buffer data into a Paradox file at the given position recpos. The first position has number 0. The function will determine the data block for this record. If the position is after the last data block, then as many as needed empty data blocks will be added. If the position is in the middle of a data block and there is no record right before the position, then the position will be recal- culated to make sure the new record will be stored in the first free slot of the datablock. For example, if a datablock contains H records and the first call of PX_put_recordn wants to store a record at postion 11, then this will be corrected to position H. PX_put_recordn will also add an empty data block and store the record as the first record of the second data block. Storing a second record at position 11 again, will be executed without any position change. data must be constructed with PX_put_data_xxx(3) functions before. It is of the same structure as the record returned by PX_get_record(3) and PX_get_record2(3). RETURN VALUE
Returns the record position on success and -1 on failure. The first position has number 0. SEE ALSO
PX_get_record(3), PX_get_record2(3), PX_put_record(3), PX_put_data_byte(3), PX_put_data_short(3), PX_put_data_long(3), PX_put_data_dou- ble(3), PX_put_data_alpha(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Uwe Steinmann uwe@steinmann.cx. PX_PUT_RECORDN(3)